• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

El Yeso Reservoir - Chile (1 Viewer)

Alan henry

Australia
I am doing a day trip to El Yeso Reservoir on 18th December just wondering if any BF members have been there in the last year or so.

If yes was the Diademed Sandpiper seen.

Any info on locations of birds would be great

Thanks in advance

Alan

Alan henry said:
I am doing a day trip to El Yeso Reservoir on 18th December just wondering if any BF members have been there in the last year or so.

Thanks in advance

Alan

I attempted it in April last year, with a small hire car. The road is dirt, of quality that varies from good to very bad, and climbs high. I made it to the dam wall, but the continuation round the reservoir was too dodgy for me. I was already uncertain about getting back over some of the bits that I had come up on. I quit while I was ahead, and made it back, with a number of good birds. If I have a chance again, it will be with a bigger car, and I will allow more time: the entire day, starting at the nearest possible overnight point, as I lost a lot time driving round Santiago to get to the approach road.

It is a fine area: recommended even if you don't make it all the way!

Aegithalos

Alan henry said:

Thanks in advance

Alan

I was @ El Yeso this time last year.The road alongside the reservoir had been blocked sometime due to a landslide but my 4X4 managed to get through with some difficulty.I can give you some specific directions for the sandpipers & some photo's which highlight the area you need to start searching.Seen very well last year.
Neil

hamish a said:
I was @ El Yeso this time last year.The road alongside the reservoir had been blocked sometime due to a landslide but my 4X4 managed to get through with some difficulty.I can give you some specific directions for the sandpipers & some photo's which highlight the area you need to start searching.Seen very well last year.
Neil

Hi Hamish,

Have sent you a PM with email address for the directions and photographs

Cheers

Alan

aegithalos said:
I attempted it in April last year, with a small hire car. The road is dirt, of quality that varies from good to very bad, and climbs high. I made it to the dam wall, but the continuation round the reservoir was too dodgy for me. I was already uncertain about getting back over some of the bits that I had come up on. I quit while I was ahead, and made it back, with a number of good birds. If I have a chance again, it will be with a bigger car, and I will allow more time: the entire day, starting at the nearest possible overnight point, as I lost a lot time driving round Santiago to get to the approach road.

It is a fine area: recommended even if you don't make it all the way!

Aegithalos

Thanks for the Info

Alan

Well I did the trip with a Chilean Birder called Jean Paul who lives in Santiago.

It was simply fantastic with the star birds being a pair Diademed Sandpiper, lots of other great birds including 30+ Mountain Parakeets in 3 flocks I of which had 16 birds feeding less than twenty metres away.

Road was in great shape but having a 4x4 Montara certainly helped.

Cheers

Alan

Alan, how did you arrange your day up there? I have a meeting in Santiago in November, and will probably have a day before the meeting to do this outing.

thanks
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back