• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elite (1 Viewer)

dries1

What is the general consensus on the Bushnell Elite models (archieved?), the ones that were sold here in the US. The ones in the UK look different with a bridge.

Andy W.

What is the general consensus on the Bushnell Elite models (archieved?), the ones that were sold here in the US. The ones in the UK look different with a bridge.

Andy W.

You'll have to show pictures. I don't think anything was different between USA and UK. If you mean Bushnell only (and not B&L), there were at least 2 interactions with very different appearances sold in the USA. I didn't try the last version--it seemed like an exploitation of the respected Elite label (as were, certainly, the e2 models). I was/am a fan of B&L/Bushnell products but by the time either of the Bushnell Elites came out, I felt like better alternatives were available for less from Nikon or others, the optics of the Chinese ED binoculars (including those sold by Bushnell) were just as good and _much_ cheaper, and that if I were going to spend on an expensive roof, I'd save for something from Z/L/S or Nikon EDG. Even with the heavy discounts that were available, I wasn't tempted.

--AP

elite

Alexis,

I am looking at a 10X42 of this model (shown in pic) and a 10X42 in the older heavier model made in Japan that has rubber ridges like the Leica BA.

Andy W.

Attachments

• bushnell elite.jpg
    bushnell elite.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 37
That one looks like the Elite e2, not the actual Elite. I was not a fan of the e2 in the 8x42 format and I thought it was false advertising to call it an Elite. As I recall, it was introduced at a budget price, then when the real Elite was discontinued they jacked up the price and started leaving off mention of the e2 label.

I'm not familiar with a Bushnell Elite with rubber ridges. That sounds more like the original Legend roof.

The only Bushnell Elite (full-sized roof) models that I remember were the 10x43 (a really nice bin, but I already had as good or better from Nikon and Leica, so I wasn't tempted) with two bridges and orange accent (see photo), which was followed by the 10x42 ED with green accent and single bridge conventional design (see photo). I wasn't paying any attention to the Elite anymore by the time the latter was released for the reasons given above. I wasn't sure how it differed, other than price, from the much much cheaper Chinese ED models that were available at the time, as well as later from Bushnell (e.g. Legend M). Bushnell/B&L has been known to price models in ways entirely unrelated to manufacturing costs (e.g. B&L 8x50 Elite was a cryptic porro and probably cheap to make but priced like a premium roof), so I suspected as much in that case.

--AP

Attachments

• 10x43_1.jpg
    10x43_1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 10x42_2.jpg
    10x42_2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 36
Alexis,

Thank you for the info regarding the Elite, the one I was looking at was an 2e 10X42 ($300 on the bay - Seller just said it was new and offered no supplemental/additional info - common these days), so it is likely similar to the Legend M in a different suit ( a bit older).
I ended up getting an Legend 10X42 made in Japan, I figure it will be a good glass for the field trailer. It looks like it is built like a tank.
Thanks also to Justabirdwatcher for his experience with the legend also.

Andy W.

I got the 10x42 Elites, last model before they quite making them in Japan (not the e2), about 3 years ago. I am completely satisfied with them. They seem to be beautifully built, solid as a brick. I had the Nikon Monarch HG at the same time, preferred the Bushnells and sold the Nikons. I also have the older open bridge 8x43 elites, I got them used maybe 10 years ago, and though they are optically inferior to my 10x pair they have proven to be very sturdy. I have a lot of appreciation for the Japanese made Bausch&Lomb/Bushnell product. Sad to see it go.

I had a pair of the B and L 8x42 elites bitd and I felt they were better than Leica Zeiss and Nikon, but were pipped with the Swaro slcs? Not being waterproof always bothered me.
I keep looking for a tidy sh pair though.

I had a pair of Bushnell Elites for a while, but they were 8x43. There were 2 different Elites, the 8x43 and later 8x42 with a solid bridge. I tried the 8x42's in a store while I had mine. I found the 8x43's to be somewhat superior, even though they were the 'slightly' older version. I felt the newer version wasn't as wide (being real critical here) or as sharp, but otherwise pretty similar. I sold my 8x43s eventually as I just can't seem to like a narrow field of view. They were 7deg or so. About as narrow as I can live with is 7.5 on an 8x roof. Overall I just can't seem to find any roofs I really love.
Had Leica BNs off and on, and currently have a pair of Docter B/CF 8x42s that remind me allot of the Leicas. Tried a pair of Nikon Premier 8x32's that I kinda like, but not enough to buy.....Anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back