• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Empty nest?? (1 Viewer)

CarolineEcho

United Kingdom
Am unsure how to ask a question so this was only way so far that can actually get it on (as it were)
I’ve been watching my bird box which has had bluetits families for past 5yrs but this year, due to health issues, I haven’t been able to keep watch as I usually do.
Can anyone tell me if I’m just too late? In past it’s been early June that the chicks have fledged. Was wondering if, having read various posts, there’s been a problem with chicks or parents but am seriously hopeful that they’ve just been earlier this year.
The bird box is in a safe spot....inaccessible to non-flying folk.
Am still seeing a lot of tired looking parents attending my feeders and have had good there throughout (never empty).
Some encouraging news would be gratefully received
Many thanks
C x

Are you saying your nest box is empty?

We've still got chicks (7) in ours but I think they will fledge this week.

Hi Caroline

It seems to have been a very bad year for Blue Tits. A lot of nests have failed sadly.

Due to the bad weather throughout most of May, there's been a lack of caterpillars to feed the young. So either the adults have not attempted to lay eggs or the chicks have died.

We've had more questions about it this year that I can ever remember.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back