• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

England lockdown policy (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I can only agree with those who err on the side of caution. I am teacher, in the West Midlands, in charge of Year 8. Just in that year group, there have been 8 deaths of parents/grandparents - they are only 12 years old - it is a tragedy.

Does anyone know, or can hazard a guess, as to whether birdwatching whilst out taking your daily walk is considered to be recreation or exercise? Went for a walk around a local reservoir today and saw some anglers but was recently told that I couldn’t stop walking to view a bird high in a tree with my bins!

I've taken this very seriously since March. I've washed my hands after I've been in a shop, before stepping back into my car, every time for nearly 10 months. I haven't been in anyone's house, including family, for 10 months. I've avoided the pub and restaurants. In fact, I've avoided anywhere indoors unless a food or petrol shop of some description.

That said, I've read the posts in this thread and I'm not necessarily in agreement with most. The science suggests that walking in the fresh air is not a risk. The risk lies indoors with people at close quarters for prolonged periods of time. My belief is that the majority are being subject to draconian measures due to the actions of the large minority who simply can't be trusted to be reasonable and sensible and it follows they're told they can't do anything at all (and the rest of us have to be lumped in with that to make it work).

As far as I'm concerned it's exercise, which it genuinely is for me because I'm always on the move. I don't meet anyone and I don't go within 2 metres of anyone. The argument that someone like me 'bending the rules' would be catastrophic in the event everyone else chose to 'bend the rules' doesn't wash, because the large minority who have had a huge hand in this virus spreading like wildfire, wouldn't be walking 'round in the fresh air type of 'bending the rules': they'd be in people's houses drinking, spreading the virus, which they probably are as it stands.

I've taken this very seriously since March. I've washed my hands after I've been in a shop, before stepping back into my car, every time for nearly 10 months. I haven't been in anyone's house, including family, for 10 months. I've avoided the pub and restaurants. In fact, I've avoided anywhere indoors unless a food or petrol shop of some description.

That said, I've read the posts in this thread and I'm not necessarily in agreement with most. The science suggests that walking in the fresh air is not a risk. The risk lies indoors with people at close quarters for prolonged periods of time. My belief is that the majority are being subject to draconian measures due to the actions of the large minority who simply can't be trusted to be reasonable and sensible and it follows they're told they can't do anything at all (and the rest of us have to be lumped in with that to make it work).

As far as I'm concerned it's exercise, which it genuinely is for me because I'm always on the move. I don't meet anyone and I don't go within 2 metres of anyone. The argument that someone like me 'bending the rules' would be catastrophic in the event everyone else chose to 'bend the rules' doesn't wash, because the large minority who have had a huge hand in this virus spreading like wildfire, wouldn't be walking 'round in the fresh air type of 'bending the rules': they'd be in people's houses drinking, spreading the virus, which they probably are as it stands.

Just to add: it very much is a tragedy, and heart-breaking thinking of all those people who died alone/are dying alone in hospital and those elderly folk in care homes who can't have their families there to see them.

And, while it is very noble to give up something you really enjoy, with that something being pretty much zero risk; it may also be fruitless, pointless and self-defeating, given that every time I go to the supermarket I pass the Chinese noodle van over the road. It's open; everyone knows it's open. I'm not a big fan of Chinese food at the best of times but I don't think I'm being biased in saying we could quite easily get by without the Chinese noodle van and there's no way on earth it can be deemed to be essential. There'll be countless Chinese noodle vans and similar outlets open up and down the country, and this is before we get talking about the people who will be sitting in mates' houses drinking taking absolutely no notice of the scientific view of how this virus is spread.

Some regions in Italy, even those in the so-called "red zone" (the ones with the strictest lockdown rules) have exceptions BOTH for anglers AND for hunters... you can walk around with a gun, but not with binoculars! 🤬
I think in England you can also walk around with a gun but not a telescope! Binoculars seem to be OK so long as you don't stop too long to use them...

It would appear though, that if you live in Hampshire it's alright to go birding by car, a quick look at the Going Birding site each day, not just since lockdown began, but also when the whole county was in Tier 4 shows a number of 'birders' not only driving around the county, but then also showing off about it by posting their sightings.
Of those people that I vaguely know in the past week it's been journeys from Lyndhurst to Lepe, Redbridge and Romsey and one of the crowning glories from a house that overlooks Fishlake Meadows to a site ten miles up the road. Also, from Tier 4 days, Basingstoke to Blashford Lakes, and a well-known person openly telling us all about a new years day trip from Farnborough to Pagham and Farlington.
It beggars belief that these people firstly don't understand the 'stay at home' and don't do non-essential journeys bit and secondly openly show off about it by posting their sightings on line.

What is wrong with these people?

I can't remember what the restrictions were at New Year? I think I drove to the other side of the next town to go for a walk for example, but not into the New Forest which was a lower Tier at the time.
5th Jan onwards no one in Hampshire should be really driving anywhere to go birding.
I'm not seeing anything blatantly wrong on going birding. A lot of local patch birding!

No one coming back from Gambia with a suntan and tales of exotic sightings that's for sure. (Or Norfolk with severe wind chill)

Yes I can't understand why I can't drive a couple of miles to go birding but people can drive to the fish and chip shop at the end of my road. Before I get lectured, I will say my car has not started since the start of lockdown but this keyworker would like to avoid the crowds in open spaces in a large town at the weekend when doing my permitted exercise which sometimes involves having a pair of bins round my neck.

Yes I can't understand why I can't drive a couple of miles to go birding but people can drive to the fish and chip shop at the end of my road. Before I get lectured, I will say my car has not started since the start of lockdown but this keyworker would like to avoid the crowds in open spaces in a large town at the weekend when doing my permitted exercise which sometimes involves having a pair of bins round my neck.

Steve, I agree with you, although I'm guessing only health is preventing you from walking that two miles? I've been going a similar distance recently and the walk there is over fields with public footpaths so always the possibility of being around various birds on the way there and back.

My local patches are more like nine if I'm honest and both places where I'd want a scope. One would involve a long walk through town or along the A14. I regularly run 10km but it'd be harder with the gear on my back! I did cycle to one several times during first lockdown but I'm not clear that's any more legal now.

Might be worth taking it out for half an hour Steve, charge up the battery & keep it ticking over.

My local patches are more like nine if I'm honest and both places where I'd want a scope. One would involve a long walk through town or along the A14. I regularly run 10km but it'd be harder with the gear on my back! I did cycle to one several times during first lockdown but I'm not clear that's any more legal now.
Cycling is clearly exercise and the PM himself indulges in it so I think you'd have a ready-made answer for any government enforcers.

Of course, you may not feel that the PM's example is one to follow.....

John

I have a new car. I drove it 50 miles from the show room in late December and have done very few more.
I filled my car up on 19th January this year. I last filled it on 24 November 2019. Last week was the first time I'd driven it since 4 November 2020. 😊 We trickle charge it every so often..

In that case, Steve, only you will know what's right for you given all circumstances.

As far as I can tell, the government website states: "stay within your local area" and local area is defined as your village or part of the city in which you live.

So, strictly speaking, where I go is not my village, although only 2 miles away.

In terms of what is right for me, when these were open/not outlawed I gave up pubs, restaurants, family members' houses, swimming (which has been a daily morning event for me for years) among other things. My thinking behind that was this: firstly, I did not want to pick it up and pass it on to a member of my family; secondly, the thought of picking it up and passing it on to anyone who may die alone and frightened; thirdly, as a country we'll never get out of this unless either saved by a vaccine or everyone does their bit to contain the spread, and it follows in the meantime we'll just go 'round in circles of opening up/ restrictions/further restrictions/opening up and we'll serve merely to delay the date people die and strangle the economy at the same time helping no one in the medium term. We don't have the people to do their bit so we're not getting out of this any time soon.

Long story short: I have been more than willing to give up an awful lot that is important to me, and I'll gladly continue to do so in order to help save lives and move along the path of getting the country going again; but the common denominator behind all of these things is indoors at close quarters with other people. I draw the line at going two miles on my own and not meeting anyone while walking in the fresh air.

In that case, Steve, only you will know what's right for you given all circumstances.

As far as I can tell, the government website states: "stay within your local area" and local area is defined as your village or part of the city in which you live.

So, strictly speaking, where I go is not my village, although only 2 miles away.

In terms of what is right for me, when these were open/not outlawed I gave up pubs, restaurants, family members' houses, swimming (which has been a daily morning event for me for years) among other things. My thinking behind that was this: firstly, I did not want to pick it up and pass it on to a member of my family; secondly, the thought of picking it up and passing it on to anyone who may die alone and frightened; thirdly, as a country we'll never get out of this unless either saved by a vaccine or everyone does their bit to contain the spread, and it follows in the meantime we'll just go 'round in circles of opening up/ restrictions/further restrictions/opening up and we'll serve merely to delay the date people die and strangle the economy at the same time helping no one in the medium term. We don't have the people to do their bit so we're not getting out of this any time soon.

Long story short: I have been more than willing to give up an awful lot that is important to me, and I'll gladly continue to do so in order to help save lives and move along the path of getting the country going again; but the common denominator behind all of these things is indoors at close quarters with other people. I draw the line at going two miles on my own and not meeting anyone while walking in the fresh air.
I take it very seriously especially, as being a teacher, I am probably at higher risk than others and don't want to pass it on. I totally support most the measure but I like logic and I'm not convinced by the outdoors thing. Especially when I'm much more likely to come within 2 m of someone in my town that I am in the countryside. I think a don't travel more than 10 miles to do a country walk would be more logical as we do want to reduce filling up, break-downs etc.

KC Foggin you want to try European fuel prices! From what I remember they almost give it away in the States!

And yet gas prices keep going up around here.

Since I got back from Australia in December 19, I've filled my tank 3 times only and haven't really noticed what the prices are LOL.

I take it very seriously especially, as being a teacher, I am probably at higher risk than others and don't want to pass it on. I totally support most the measure but I like logic and I'm not convinced by the outdoors thing. Especially when I'm much more likely to come within 2 m of someone in my town that I am in the countryside. I think a don't travel more than 10 miles to do a country walk would be more logical as we do want to reduce filling up, break-downs etc.

KC Foggin you want to try European fuel prices! From what I remember they almost give it away in the States!

Steve, yes, I agree; there is the possibility of breakdowns and also people filling up at petrol stations is a risk: particularly given there are always rogue elements in there who can't be bothered to wear a mask and apparently are woefully lacking in the ability to grasp 2 metres space. If ever there was a case for a catastrophic education failure in this country: this situation is a beacon of light.

In terms of why the logic appears skewed, my firm opinion is that it is due to the large minority who have shown that they do not care and the only way to get a grip on them is to tell them to not move anywhere and not do anything. To make that work we all have to be lumped in with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back