• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

English names for Troglodytes splits (1 Viewer)

True enough, but the overwhelming majority of T. pacificus seen by English speaking human beings is in redwood country.

I am sorry, but I doubt that. The proposal states that the bird shares Redwood habitat in California and southern Oregon, but I have seen/heard it in pine forest in southern British Colombia, not far from a major city like Vancouver.

Niels

I am sorry, but I doubt that. The proposal states that the bird shares Redwood habitat in California and southern Oregon, but I have seen/heard it in pine forest in southern British Colombia, not far from a major city like Vancouver.

Niels

Fair enough, I may have over-stated my case a little (& not for the first time ;)). But it’s still true that more T. pacificus are seen by English speaking human beings in redwood country than in the frozen north, so the general point still stands.

PS. I should have known I wasn't going to get away with "overwhelming majority" ;)

Last edited:
I like Kroodsma’s suggestion for English names of these two “the Whistling Wren and the Whistling Wren On Speed”
http://books.google.com/books?id=nBI_20Buh0MC&pg=PA224&dq="Western+Winter+Wren"&hl=en&ei=x5vUS9WfEpGq .

The singing life of birds

Western Winter Wren has been used in many books on google both scholarly and in books aimed for birders. How about Pacific-slope Wren? Reflecting in the genius of George Willet and Andrew Jackson Grayson??? Especially since the European bird is just Wren.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back