• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EOS Rebel T7. Good lens for birding? (1 Viewer)

I am new to taking photos of birds and this will be a hobby, not professional. Due to budget restraints I got the EOS Rebel T7. It came with a focus lens that goes to 55M which I have found out is not nearly enough. So what lens should I get that works with my camera that is around $200 -$300 range? And what range of focus is ideal?

Welcome to the hobby of wildlife photography. You can get some good pics with that camera. That's the level of gear that I started with. Unfortunately, big glass is expensive, often more than the camera. 55mm is just going to be frustrating for you. That is a good lens for portraits, street photography and such, but birds are small and generally won't let you get close enough for that to work for you. The ideal would be the Canon 100-400mm. Unfortunately, those are way out of your budget, though something to save up for in the future while they are still available.

There are still some good compromises to look at though. Tamron makes or made an 18-400mm with the EF mount that I can see ranging from $400-$600 retail used. The Sigma 150-600mm is quite good and I often use it when working with shore birds and the like that are often at long distance, but even used it is probably $500-$600. Also, I see the used Canon 100-400mm as low as $200. But that would be an older model and make sure you try it out on your camera body before buying as at that price it is probably seen a lot of use and might have some issues, or at least buy online from a highly reputable merchant who will allow returns if it doesn't work out for you. I've successfully used B&H and Adorama (both out of New York city) and found both to be very reliable and with a huge inventory. https://www.adorama.com/us1527221.html

Also keep an eye on your local craigslist if you are comfortable with meeting up with strangers to exchange money for product. My experience there though is that usually everything listed there is vastly overpriced. Doesn't hurt to check out pawn shops or see if local auction listings look like they might have some camera gear of interest to you, just remember, no returns at either of those. If there are any small local photography shops they might even have some used equipment and be willing to dicker over prices.

There are a few ways to get started with what you have. Hummingbird feeders provide a real opportunity to get really close and provide colorful subjects. It requires patience and spending some time slowly working your way closer as the birds get used to you and occasionally one will put on a display for the "bird" it sees reflected in the lens. Regular bird feeders can also provide the same type of opportunities, though even more willingness to slowly work closer over a long time as the birds get used to you.

Great hobby with endless opportunity for continues learning and always an excuse for getting outside and enjoying nature or for an new adventure.

Welcome to the hobby of wildlife photography. You can get some good pics with that camera. That's the level of gear that I started with. Unfortunately, big glass is expensive, often more than the camera. 55mm is just going to be frustrating for you. That is a good lens for portraits, street photography and such, but birds are small and generally won't let you get close enough for that to work for you. The ideal would be the Canon 100-400mm. Unfortunately, those are way out of your budget, though something to save up for in the future while they are still available.

There are still some good compromises to look at though. Tamron makes or made an 18-400mm with the EF mount that I can see ranging from $400-$600 retail used. The Sigma 150-600mm is quite good and I often use it when working with shore birds and the like that are often at long distance, but even used it is probably $500-$600. Also, I see the used Canon 100-400mm as low as $200. But that would be an older model and make sure you try it out on your camera body before buying as at that price it is probably seen a lot of use and might have some issues, or at least buy online from a highly reputable merchant who will allow returns if it doesn't work out for you. I've successfully used B&H and Adorama (both out of New York city) and found both to be very reliable and with a huge inventory. https://www.adorama.com/us1527221.html

Also keep an eye on your local craigslist if you are comfortable with meeting up with strangers to exchange money for product. My experience there though is that usually everything listed there is vastly overpriced. Doesn't hurt to check out pawn shops or see if local auction listings look like they might have some camera gear of interest to you, just remember, no returns at either of those. If there are any small local photography shops they might even have some used equipment and be willing to dicker over prices.

There are a few ways to get started with what you have. Hummingbird feeders provide a real opportunity to get really close and provide colorful subjects. It requires patience and spending some time slowly working your way closer as the birds get used to you and occasionally one will put on a display for the "bird" it sees reflected in the lens. Regular bird feeders can also provide the same type of opportunities, though even more willingness to slowly work closer over a long time as the birds get used to you.

Great hobby with endless opportunity for continues learning and always an excuse for getting outside and enjoying nature or for an new adventure.
Thank you so much for the helpful response and information.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back