• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Error 01 with 40D and EF300mm F4 (1 Viewer)

I'm hoping the forum can shed some light on a problem I'm having.

For 15 months I've using a 40D with an Ef300mm F4+ 1.4TC.

Everything has been fine until about 6 weeks ago, when the camera started
giving me Error 01 (lens aperture data not being transmitted: Clean camera and lens contacts.)

Done that.

I noticed that the error occurs only in Av and Tv modes, when the aperture is smaller than F8. BTW it's ok in Manual mode.

The same error occurs without the 1.4TC at apertures of F8 and below.

I took the lens and camera for repair to Lehmanns. They told me that there is no fault with the camera , lens or the TC, however the EF300m F4 is only guaranteed to work across its aperture range with 1D series cameras, it is not guaranteed to work with xxD cameras.

Since I have in the past used this combination at apertures down to F11, I found this a bit odd to say the least.

I wonder if anyone else has had the same problem, or if anyone has any observations.

I took the lens and camera for repair to Lehmanns. They told me that there is no fault with the camera , lens or the TC, however the EF300m F4 is only guaranteed to work across its aperture range with 1D series cameras, it is not guaranteed to work with xxD cameras.

This is certainly taurus faeces, EF 300mm f/4L should work with XXD series (or even XXXD series cameras) at any aperture setting that is available on the lens. If you have an older version (non-IS) EF 300mm f/4L, it is possible that there is something wrong with the aperture blades that prevents them from closing.

Thanks for the reply macshark.

Sadly, this issue does not appear to be taurus faeces.
I took the camera and lens to my local dealer (Jacobs, Leicester) and explained it to him. He was unsurprised, and had come across this issue before.

He kindly let me try a new 300mm F4 on my 40D: result Error 01. Also, my 300mm F4 on a new 50D: result, Error 01.

It seems that Canon are not prepared to acknowledge this is a problem, and because of this no repair can made to a camera lens combination having this problem.

Now I have looked in some other forums regarding this, but have not found anything, but a well established camera dealer knows of it.
Quite where this leaves me I don’t know. Sell up and move to Nikon?

This must rank as (one of) the weirdest things I've read in many years surfing the web. I've just checked my original EF 300 f4L on my 30D at f11 in Av mode, and fortunately, all is well.

I can only suggest you discuss the matter with Canon UK at Elstree, and/or place your query on www.dpreview.com in the Canon SLR Lens or 10D-50D forums - there's a pretty wide readership there. One of the things which Canon have claimed, I believe, is forwards and backwards compatibility between all EF lenses and all EOS bodies - apart from the variations in lens aperture sensitivity with AF points on 1D series and other bodies. These are documented in not quite the clearest fashion in the (downloadable) manuals for the bodies.

There are problems with some Sigma lenses on EOS bodies, and I've certainly suffered from these.

(Lehmanns have done good repair work for me on my original EF 300 f2.8L which another Canon approved repairer returned unfixed and somewhat fouled up.)

I have 2 canon 300 f4s, both work well with my 40D and 50D. Is your 300 a new version or the older non IS one? Mine got the IS on both, I tested the one at hand with my 50D at f11 and it does work.(my other one was left in Hong Kong for use when I go back for to vist my relatives and friends). Don't know much about the non-IS one, only informed by friends that it is sharper than the IS version.

This one was shot with 50D 300 F4 IS + 1.4X Canon at f11. I always use av mode.

Attachments

• HK08(1) 1515t_1.jpg
    HK08(1) 1515t_1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
My 300mm is the IS version. I agree with Malcolm, it is bizarre, I just wish I wasn't writing it. The whole thing is very strange.

I had assumed that the problem started at F8 and continued with smaller apertures. Not so the problem only occurs at F8 with the 1.4TC, or F5.6 with the 300m alone.

Malcolm, maybe you try your rig at F8. I would interested to hear how you get on.

I will contact Canon soon and I will relay any replies.

Hi Brontornis,

I've just done a few checks using my 30D, and the old EF 300 f4L (non-IS). 30D was in Av mode, 800 ISO, and I had no ERR messages.

I shot at f5.6, f8 and f11 with the lens alone. And at f5.6, f8, f11 with my 1.4x MkI extender. I wasn't using flash, and I haven't tried any half or third stop apertures.

If there's any other checks let me know - unfortunately I don't have the IS version of the 300 f4. I have some other bodies, & the 2x MkII extender, and some other lenses. Did Jacobs suggest that any other combos were afflicted?

Bit of a long shot?
Have you tried removing BOTH batteries from your camera overnight? I had a winking Single shot/Multiple Shot icon on my 1D MkIII which only stopped winking when I removed its main, reasonably charged, battery for a few minutes. No mention of this "feature" in the manual...

Thanks Malcolm.

I'll try removing the batteries. I think only the xxD models are affected. The 1D series are ok, I think, not sure about the xxxD series

I have to say I am baffled by this. I have just tried my 300mm f4 IS at apertures ranging from f8 to f13 and had no problems whatsoever. The only difference being I use a Kenko non reporting TC.
I also always use Av mode.

Thanks Malcolm.

I'll try removing the batteries. I think only the xxD models are affected. The 1D series are ok, I think, not sure about the xxxD series

Back in 06, I have been using the XTi (400D) with the lens + 1.4X at f8 and f9 (the smallest aperture I have been used then), there was no problem.

Attachments

• HongkongNov06 1222tet.jpg
    HongkongNov06 1222tet.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 119
Had the error o1 on my 300D with 300 f4 IS a few years ago. It was very intermitent and my local camera repairer had it in twice before they managed to fix it. It would work ok most of the time but when the error message came up I turned the camera off removed and then refitted the lens and it would be ok again for several hundred shots. Don't think it made any difference what mode or aperture I used but it allways seemed to fail at a critical moment which is why I had it fixed. Can't remember now what they did to it but think it cost me about £100.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back