• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eschenbach binoculars? (2 Viewers)

Sancho

Europe
While fooling about on t-interweb, I came across Eschenbach binoculars. They offer a huge range of models, many of which are ones that people on BF bino-forum lament the lack thereof. Like an 8x40 waterproof wide-angle porro, or a 7x42 wide-angle roof. Also a compact 8x25 offering an 8.2-degree FOV. Very competitive prices, but the info is a bit short on specifications. Prices range from the budget-priced to the high-mid range. The designs are generally clunky-looking, kind of 1980´s-futuristic, "Battlestar Galactica" or perhaps a dash of "Judge Dredd". Two items I´m interested in are the aforementioned 8x40 porro, and an intriguing 8x56 "Sektor D" roof (See? Even the names are Judge Dredd!;)). Any opinions on the brand, anyone?

Edit: Just found this spec-sheet for all models: http://www.eschenbach-optik.com/en/Product_table.1800.0.html?&no_cache=1&L=2

Last edited:
I've looked at their website in the past and found some of the models quite attractive (aesthetically), but not sure how the optics are.
There aren't too many reviews out there it seems. But, yeah they offer a lot of choices.

Sancho Wrote: “ . . . I came across Eschenbach binoculars.”

If you have $500 and a couple of empty suitcases, you, too, can be a binocular "impresario.” With a few dollars more, they can come with YOUR name on them!

Am I poopooing Eschenbach binos? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! I know nothing of them. That to me sends up a major red flag—not in quality, but in existence.

So much so, that even as a poor guy, I will offer $25 to anyone who can send me 4 clear (verifiable) photos of binos being MANUFACTUERED (that means the body castings, too) in their FACTORY.

I’ll bet those many models are originating from names like Kunming, Kamakura, Katsuma, and the like. I realize they promote many vision-enhancing products. Thus, I am speaking only of hand-held binoculars. And, believe me, I would be THRILLED to lose that one.

When, I offered a reward, on another forum, to anyone who could prove me wrong about their not being a consumer line of hand-held binoculars made in the United States, I spent 3 days receiving strong opinions about the companies people THINK sell American made binos (with the IMPORTER, David Bushnell, leading the pack), and photos of ladies wiping the dust off rifle scope lenses in Beaverton (Leupold). When the dust settled, I still had my money and the erroneous notions died down . . . temporally.

Yes, I’m aware of the axle caps that say, “Made in the USA.” But then, some people equate “assembled” with “made.”

I'll crawl back in my hole, now—humbug, bah! :hi:

Bill

Their turf has been high-grade surgeons and dentists scopes, and low-vision aids.
They had binocs but now they are pushing to carry more. They don't say a lot about what's
in them, which is precarious in such a competitive field. "they helped my dentist and helped my
grandma watch TV" doesn't seem like an absolute endorsement.

They don't have a very friendly web site either and it seems from it that those being sold are only sold in Germany and that is only a few of the large grouping they show which are identified as being sold in Germany. It's hard to tell which ones are available.

Bob

Sancho,

I got one of the little Eschenbach Gala Viva 6x15 for my wife on a trip to Oberammagau a few years back. It worked very nicely in that huge auditorium and subsequently for concerts theatre etc. but the glare is pretty awful in daylight. The only others I've seen were a couple that a local camera shop had on approval. I think one was the Adventurer 8x42 which besides being even uglier in the flesh had a very soft hazy view and should be avoided at all costs IMO. The other was a bit better but I don't recognise it in the current line-up. Neither could match the view offered by the early incarnation of the Vanguard Spirit they stocked, but at least they weren't faulty out of the box.

Sorry I've not seen either of the models you picked out.

David

Sincerest thanks, folks. Yes, Torview, that porro looks like it´s worth a gamble. I´m not concerned about where they´re made, they´re available in Europe direct from Germany or on various websites. I like Granny´s TV viewers on their website. I really think Judge Dredd wore those, attached to his helmet, in the original comic-strip.

I know nothing of them. That to me sends up a major red flag—not in quality, but in existence.

For a company that has existed for 100 years and is a well established brand here in Europe, that says more about you Bill than about the brand.

So much so, that even as a poor guy, I will offer $25 to anyone who can send me 4 clear (verifiable) photos of binos being MANUFACTUERED (that means the body castings, too) in their FACTORY.
So who claimed they're a manufacturer? No need to go on a crusade I think.

I'd love some Regattas http://www.eschenbach-optik.com/en/...&cHash=8610d8a960&tt_products=4250842 If only to look like I have come from the future

And if you read the blurb, they won a design award! Must have been the Futuristic Dystopian Law Enforcers´trophy ("I AM the Law, Drokk!"). I am still intrigued that a very old established optics firm, that makes all the models and designs that we whinge we can´t get anymore (porro 8x40, roof 7x42, etc.), has made no inroads into the birding market, except maybe in Germany. The specs all look good.

Down here Eschenbach is a well known and established brand which was mostly sold by opticians.
Since they no longer sell optics (bins) sales went down dramatically for Eschenbach in optics.
Eschenbach bins are manufactured by OEM's in Asia.
The 8x56 D sector has the weight of a tank, a narrow field of view and so so optics, but the price is also so so!

Jan

In Germany, Eschenbachs reputation used to be better than it is now I think. However I've seen quite positive reviews of some of their newer midrange models recently (Trophy roofs).

Last edited:
For a company that has existed for 100 years and is a well established brand here in Europe, that says more about you Bill than about the brand.

So who claimed they're a manufacturer? No need to go on a crusade I think.

Having repaired and collimated thousands of binos from all over the world, spanning 100+ years of history, as well as routinely dealing with reps and manufacterers without ever having heard the name, I will leave that ball in their court.

Some tout their wealth of offerings. Yet, I have to wonder why we don't see even 20% as many from Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, Doctor, or any of the other European greats.

As to your second question: I read just about every name. People just couldn't believe that Bushnell was an importer, or Vortex, or Leupold, or Celestron, or Meade, Simmons, or Alpen or . . .

I noted a bit of sarcasm in your reply. Please note, however, that I did not disparage the company, and made that bold in my offering.

I guess I should presume they are all made so well, they never need repair or collimation.

Cheers,

Down here Eschenbach is a well known and established brand which was mostly sold by opticians.
Since they no longer sell optics (bins) sales went down dramatically for Eschenbach in optics.
Eschenbach bins are manufactured by OEM's in Asia.
The 8x56 D sector has the weight of a tank, a narrow field of view and so so optics, but the price is also so so!

Jan

Thank you Jan! The 8x56 claims an FOV of 114m, which is about 7m more than the average for mid-priced binos of this configuration. Whether it´s true or not is another matter.

Having repaired and collimated thousands of binos from all over the world, spanning 100+ years of history, as well as routinely dealing with reps and manufacterers without ever having heard the name, I will leave that ball in their court.

Some tout their wealth of offerings. Yet, I have to wonder why we don't see even 20% as many from Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, Doctor, or any of the other European greats.

Cheers,

Maybe they got repaired and collimated in .....Europe?;) To be honest, before joining BF, I´d never heard of Leupold, Vortex, Bushnell, or indeed any State-side optics manufacturers. I knew of Bausch and Lomb only via Ray-Ban sunglasses. L/Z/S admittedly market worldwide, but buying a Leupold in IRL or UK is difficult (not sure about the rest of the EU), and only a few Vortex models are available. We live in what we assume to be a globalised world, but that doesn´t mean every brand is instantly available on both sides of the Atlantic. Vive la difference, and all that.

I've not repaired a single binocular and owned only a few, but I knew of the Eschenbach brand before I learned that Swarovski makes binoculars ;)

We live in what we assume to be a globalised world, but that doesn´t mean every brand is instantly available on both sides of the Atlantic. Vive la difference, and all that.

Very true. Someone find me Burris Montana binoculars for sale in the States ...

Thank you Jan! The 8x56 claims an FOV of 114m, which is about 7m more than the average for mid-priced binos of this configuration. Whether it´s true or not is another matter.

Maybe they got repaired and collimated in .....Europe?;) To be honest, before joining BF, I´d never heard of Leupold, Vortex, Bushnell, or indeed any State-side optics manufacturers. I knew of Bausch and Lomb only via Ray-Ban sunglasses. L/Z/S admittedly market worldwide, but buying a Leupold in IRL or UK is difficult (not sure about the rest of the EU), and only a few Vortex models are available. We live in what we assume to be a globalised world, but that doesn´t mean every brand is instantly available on both sides of the Atlantic. Vive la difference, and all that.

Abso-darn-lutely!!! My whole point is one that you touched on with your:

" . . . or indeed any State-side optics manufacturers."

There are NO manufacturers of CONSUMER binoculars, "State side," and haven't been for decades! Many of OUR people would be happy looking through a rusty pipe, if it had a German name on the side, even though the German's learned how to make a profit off of cheap Asian labor years ago.

Americans are not the only cheapskates in the world.

The bino on the left is from an American "manufacturer," the one on the right, a European "manufacturer." It cost $230 more because it was “manufactured” in Europe. However, getting past the copious opinions, and down to the brass tacks, we find that BOTH were manufactured in Japan.

It can be hard for a person with deep experience to be taken seriously, here.

For example: Gary has been an engineer for Leica, and is now an engineer with Zeiss. He COULD be a wealth of empirical information. Yet, in his last post he writes:

“And this is why you hardly ever see me on birdforum anymore.

Because everytime I post on here, someone puts 2 and 2 together to make 5 and dissects and tries to put a different meaning to every word I say.

I give up !!!!!!!!”

Thus, he was run off. And, of course, when this kinda thing happens, the water just closes around them, they are quickly forgotten, and the world of myth, opinion, and inaccurate data returns to normal.

I have ALL the binos I will ever need. Some are junk; some are alphas. I don’t need to get into a peeing contest with anyone. I just want to offer an occasional dose of reality, to any who wants to know more about binos and the industry, and cares to listen.

I further know that there are so many bogus opinions out there, that anything that goes against “conventional” wisdom must be considered a blow hard . . . blowing hard. However, there are those on this forum who know I DO NOT MAKE STUFF UP! I have been challenged, elsewhere, and have proved EVERY point. Nor, do I lose sleep when the inexperienced challenge me. “Been there and done that,” so many times I feel like the old gunslinger who the young’uns are always trying to best, so as to make a name for themselves.

I don’t want—or need—to compete with anyone, just offer some occasional insight.

Eschenbach’s offerings and website shouts of things those close to the source don’t seem to want to know about. It’s just like the Americans not wanting to hear there are no US made CONSUMER binos.

But, in the immortal words of Aristotle: “Reality sucks!”

Cheers,

Bill

PS Please don’t shoot me; I’m just the piano player. o:)

Attachments

• IMGP0923 copy.JPG
    IMGP0923 copy.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back