• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Espanola - seems like a flock of small yellow birds??? (1 Viewer)

Bird Brainer

Canada
Hello again from Espanola!

Just a shot in the dark that I can get this image identified. Terrible shots from far away...one of the underexposed does show some yellow color. Also, one with the wings
spanned out might give a clue. Flocking migrants, not sure. Yellowthroats? They seemed quite small, but distances are deceiving. Many thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• possible common yellowthroat one.jpg
    possible common yellowthroat one.jpg
    830.7 KB · Views: 66
  • potential common yellowthroat three.jpg
    potential common yellowthroat three.jpg
    833.4 KB · Views: 66
  • potential common yellowthroat two.jpg
    potential common yellowthroat two.jpg
    840.5 KB · Views: 66
Ah, Ontario. I can't see any yellow in those photos, but if I saw small yellow birds in a close flock of that size in eastern Canada, perched in the open, I'd immediately think of goldfinches. The various yellowish warblers always seem to appear in twos or threes, and most (including yellowthroats) are skulkers (except for lone males defending territory).

Looking again on a larger screen, I do see some yellow on at least two birds in the first photo. Still can't make out any useful details, though.

Note that your location is within the summer range of evening grosbeak. My (US-based) guide talks about them in decent-sized flocks. I'm pretty sure that's just winter behavior, but perhaps they remain in flocks while migrating.

You guys are good. I gave waxwings a passing thought but didn't think theyd register as primarily yellow (or small). Now that you mention it, I do think we can see some crests.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back