• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essential tremor and IS binoculars (1 Viewer)

MiddleRiver

United States
I've been trying to encourage one of my family members (in his early 70's) to get out birding more, as a way of staying fit and spending more time outdoors. One of the potential issues is that he has 'familial, or essential tremor'. He's got older (classic) Trinovids and one thought was that he could unload them and purchase a modern pair of binos more suitable to wearing glasses, with higher transmission, and possibly with IS.

Does anyone have first-hand experience (no pun intended) with whether IS can help with hand tremor issues? If you don't care to discuss your medical issues online, feel free to PM me - and thanks in advance. I'd love to get this person out more!

This has been discussed before.

Some found that the Fujinon/Nikon system worked better than the Canon.

Even the Bushnell 10x35 IS, which I found awful.

So it is a question of trying out personally.

Regards,
B.

Thanks B.
I did find a lengthy tread but it was general to IS. Mostly I was hoping to hear specifics from someone with parkinson's or essential tremor.
You are correct that only first hand test will prob provide useful info...
a

Thanks B.
I did find a lengthy tread but it was general to IS. Mostly I was hoping to hear specifics from someone with parkinson's or essential tremor.
You are correct that only first hand test will prob provide useful info...
a
Good evening from the UK.
I think that I am your man - I have age-related tremors and have been using IS binoculars for over 8 years. It's no exaggeration to say that since then it has changed my life. I was on the verge of giving up birding because my brain was working overtime trying to hold a steady image and it was giving me headaches. Problem solved by the purchase of a mint Canon 10x30 IS for £200 ($273) from eBay. Pressing the IS button for the first time was a revelation.
There are far more issues to talk about that might help your relative, but at the moment I'm rather busy, but I will be back to you in the next few days.
Kind regards
Stan

Be aware that some Canons suffer from decomposing / sticky rubber armour after some years if buying secondhand.
See here for an example.
Yes, thanks! I just saw another pair on there and was wondering what the heck was going on with armor…

But really more than specific bino reviews, I’d love to hear from folks for whom it has helped - or not. And not just aging unsteadiness but tremor or Parkinson’s etc.

I know there’s also a discussion of fine motion correction vs broader frequency (hand shake vs boating/rolling?).

Thx!

I believe the IS binoculars do in fact help with hand tremor, some more, some a bit less.
One factor to consider is whether the IS mechanism can be turned on with the press of a button / move of a lever (most IS binos today) or whether you have to keep pressing the button all the time (the older Canons such as 10x30, 12x36 etc). I found the latter technology slightly less useful for people with hand tremor (my mother-in-law).

Canip

Last edited:
I'm in that age group and talked about ES in a couple threads on BF.

There's an issue here that's over looked or avoided. ES, with age, turns into an Intention Tremor which is attached to physiological tremors which is another way of saying performance anxiety. Parkinson is way down the line, if ever attained.

Your love one may be avoiding birding do to this progression without letting on to the anxiety of the progression.

I tried IS optics some 20-25 years ago, I think it was that long ago, with a Canon bino. My recollection is bad on this but I do recall the optics were poor; FOV and such, so much so I didn't find it attractive at the time.

For the age group, I would be more inclined to champion the positive aspects of birding with an IS camera. Elderly need more stimulation, a given factor, which can be attain from combining birding and photography. Sure, there's gonna be a ton of bad photos but the pleasure of ID'ing birds, sorting through photos, finding and sharing “keepers” will be fun......enjoyment you both can join in on.

I use a Pani FZ1000; njlarsen recommended it 7 years ago, best advice I ever got on BF.

Hat Tip to BF and nijlarsen...!!

Last edited:
I've been trying to encourage one of my family members (in his early 70's) to get out birding more, as a way of staying fit and spending more time outdoors. One of the potential issues is that he has 'familial, or essential tremor'. He's got older (classic) Trinovids and one thought was that he could unload them and purchase a modern pair of binos more suitable to wearing glasses, with higher transmission, and possibly with IS.

Does anyone have first-hand experience (no pun intended) with whether IS can help with hand tremor issues? If you don't care to discuss your medical issues online, feel free to PM me - and thanks in advance. I'd love to get this person out more!
I have sold MANY units of the best IS binos ... and stood by to explain to mariners why the idiotic garbage about “pitch and roll” was just that ... “idiot garbage.”

Hand “tremors” should be no problem. They were designed to handle tremors, wind gusts, engine vibrations, and the like. BUT, while they may HELP a bit with pitch and roll, they cannot ELIMINATE the problem. Many of the people who write ads for this gear, could have their knowledge of optics written on the head of a pin ... in 4-foot letters!

Think about it. You’re looking at a vessel coming up at 275 degrees. Then, out of the corner of your eye, you see another at 283 degrees and want to look at that one. BUT YOU CAN’T. That LONG-DURATION movement (like in pitch and roll) won’t let you move your bino! That piece of nonsense, accentuates the realities of the situation.

Those advertisers know how to sell product ... not sail!!!

I am, in fact, a sailor. But not of the gray-hulled variety. Ours has a sail :)

I would never expect a bino (short of some military high-tech marvel) to reduce the wallowing of a sailing craft - or really of any watercraft. But a previous thread seemed to relate different IS systems as being optimal to different periodicities (is that a work?). So that got me wondering whether certain products (technologies) are better suited to the shake experienced by those with tremors and parkinsons.

I am, in fact, a sailor. But not of the gray-hulled variety. Ours has a sail :)

I would never expect a bino (short of some military high-tech marvel) to reduce the wallowing of a sailing craft - or really of any watercraft. But a previous thread seemed to relate different IS systems as being optimal to different periodicities (is that a work?). So that got me wondering whether certain products (technologies) are better suited to the shake experienced by those with tremors and parkinsons.
Hey ... wattsamatter with you? What's wrong with those gray-hulled sailors?

MiddleRiver,
In my post no.4 I said that I have had personal experience of using IS binoculars to control temor and mentioned I would continue in a few days, but that is now a few weeks - sorry. The current other responses to your question, while being helpful, don't seem to answer your question. However, by now you might have made some progress if someone has contacted you directly. If not, I'm happy to continue with some advice.

If you do want to continue, I originally thought it might be useful for other people as well if we discuss it directly in BF. However, having had time to consider, I am less inclined to do it that way and I think it would be better to use private messaging as you suggest. The reason - IS binos are different from none IS binos - they look different, they feel different and they operate differently and it often takes some time to get used to them, particularly after years of using none IS. Strong for and anti comments are common in postings, particularly the latter. This leads to the original subject matter disappearing under argument about minor matters that don't exist to me or can be overcome. This happens in many subjects on BF and possibly ends up with the original poster being frightened off.

Let me know if you would like me to contact you by private message.

Stan

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back