• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (1 Viewer)

Hockley Woods was good yesterday day with a Firecrest and a couple Mealy Redpolls in with a large flock of Lessers. 5+ Treecreepers also seen, the Firecrest and redpolls still around this morning being seen by others

goldcrests today

I stumbled across some goldcrests at EWT's Phyllis Currie reserve today, at least 5 and almost certainly 6 , even though I was close to them they moved around very quickly so photos were difficult, many more failures than successes!, here's a few of the better ones attached....

not much else to be seen , a couple of mallards and a little grebe on the pond, 2 swans on the island. green woodpecker, wren , couple of blackbirds, several blue tits and great tits and a robin or two. disappointing apart from the goldcrests

Attachments

• 0862.JPG
    0862.JPG
    410.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 0899.JPG
    0899.JPG
    349.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 0937.JPG
    0937.JPG
    593.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 0948.JPG
    0948.JPG
    480.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 0964.JPG
    0964.JPG
    393.3 KB · Views: 22
A juvenile Night Heron was at Burnham on Crouch today before flying to Wallasea Island this evening. Hope this has a repeat performance tomorrow

So I have seen steve, I may be going to have a look at the original site in the morning and then a trip to wallasea island for the first time afterwards.

Are you about on the site at all?

Hi Steve
Do you know if it flew off from Burnham through choice or was it as a result of all the people about (it was v close to lots of dogwalkers etc)?
Thks
John

I suspect that the juvenile Night Heron may be fishing at Wallasea Island in the evenings and roosting at Burnham-on-crouch during the day. There aren't that many trees on Wallasea Island, so Riverside Park might be one of the closest roost sites. Having said that, I'll probably be proved wrong...

Hopefully it sticks around for a few days. Would be a nice start to the new year! Adam

I had a quick scout around inland Essex at a few sites yesterday... Managed to see the Raven at Stapleford Tawney at around 11.30am after waiting for an hour or so. It flew from opposite St Mary's Church North along Tawney Lane until it was lost to view.

Then I drove around Bocking, Braintree looking for the Red Kite that has occasionally been seen there, before checking Pebmarsh for the Great Grey Shrike that was reported about a month ago. As expected, no joy with either of them. Finished the day nicely with three cracking drake Smew at Abberton Reservoir from the Layer Breton causeway.

I had a quick scout around inland Essex at a few sites yesterday... Managed to see the Raven at Stapleford Tawney at around 11.30am after waiting for an hour or so. It flew from opposite St Mary's Church North along Tawney Lane until it was lost to view.

Then I drove around Bocking, Braintree looking for the Red Kite that has occasionally been seen there, before checking Pebmarsh for the Great Grey Shrike that was reported about a month ago. As expected, no joy with either of them. Finished the day nicely with three cracking drake Smew at Abberton Reservoir from the Layer Breton causeway.

If the kite is about, I see it on my way to work, the bird can be traced to a site nearer the border of suffolk. It does show well on the bypass from braintree to bocking.

Night heron tomorrow.

I dont think the bird was disturbed by anyone and given the time it was seen flying across the Crouch, just before 4pm and getting dark I suspect it flew by it own accord. Received a message last night that suggests it may have been around on Christmas Day but wasnt identified by the observer at the time.

There are plenty of trees and bushes just inland of Wallasea, just by the road onto Wallasea for instance, so it doesn't have to return to Burnham for day roosting.

Still lots of Short-eared Owls around over Wallasea at Present with up to 9 on some evenings along with multiple Hen Harriers, Barn Owl, Marsh Harrier, Common Buzzard, Merlin and the long staying Rough-legged Buzzard. I've not got there myself properly yet this winter for one thing or another but it I get the chance I will try and get there this evening to see if it, Night Heron, can be picked up flying in to feed.

Failing that I will be there new years day as still need to see the RLB, work and having a Cold preventing me getting there otherwise.

A Bittern was reported at Vange Marsh yesterday and a Bewicks Swan was near Paglesham with the Mute Swan herd so a few good birds around, plus the must see Nuthatches in Belfairs just rediscovered, thought this species was extinct locally so I got to see these, one of my favourite passerines. Also need the return visit to Hockley Woods for the Mealy and Lesser Redpolls and Firecrest. Shaping up to be a good start to 2015 if they all behave themselves.

Quick update

Thanks Steve for the further information on the Night Heron.
It had no sign of rings etc so I assume was wild.

Glad there are a few birds around Southern Essex. Maldon area has been very quiet- not enough bad weather to bring birds in (which of course is good news for the birds themselves!)

Seems to have been a good breeding season for many birds, particularly Kingfishers, Kestrels & Wrens that I have noticed. (In fact I drove twice up to Halewood over Xmas and it was great tro see so many Kestrels by the sides of motorways, like they used to be...)

Saw a Barn Owl hunting around Morrisons car park yesterday evening which was great to see though I'm not sure if it is a sign of a good season or that the cold snap has forced it to hunt away from its normal haunts.

Happy New Year to one & all!
John

Attachments

• DSC00375 for upload.jpg
    DSC00375 for upload.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 49
The Wallasea Rough-legged Buzzard continues to put on its show though todays overcast and windy conditions were a far cry from yesterday, yet to get any image of the bird.

Todays new years run about, including the Rough-legged Buzzard were the Belfairs Nuthatches and the Friars Park Mandarins.

Attachments

• Mandarin Upload 1.jpg
    Mandarin Upload 1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Nuthatch upload 1.jpg
    Nuthatch upload 1.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 40
Your photos are fabulous, as always. Tried for the Nuthatches today, but forgot my wellies, so will have another go tomorrow. I had 30 seconds with the Mandarins last week - my fieldcraft truly needs work, as I managed to chase them away as soon as I saw them, but got these pics - not in your league, but I like the colours.

Attachments

• Mandarin_edited-1.jpg
    Mandarin_edited-1.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Mandarin1_edited-1.jpg
    Mandarin1_edited-1.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 27
The Wallasea Rough-legged Buzzard continues to put on its show though todays overcast and windy conditions were a far cry from yesterday, yet to get any image of the bird.

Todays new years run about, including the Rough-legged Buzzard were the Belfairs Nuthatches and the Friars Park Mandarins.

Where's Friars Park please, Steve?

wallasea island today (4-1-15)

a cold dull and misty afternoon at Wallasea Island today produced the following:

About 20 corn buntings and 15 lapwings on the meadowy bit by the car park
3 little egrets (ditch and field just after the entrance to the island))
2 hen harriers
2 marsh harriers
1 merlin
1 kestrel
3 short eared owls
2 stonechats

I tried some photos but the weather was so poor that they weren't usable, there were about 30 other people there so they may well have seen more than me but thought I would list what I saw anyway in case no other logs appear. Still trying to warm up with the aid of whisky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back