• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (2 Viewers)

red kite seen about 1/2 mile south of Cock Clarks (Hackmans Lane) on my way to Stow Maries about 11.30 this morning. drifting north eastish towards Maldon. By the time I stopped car got camera out and got a pic it was a bit distant (and cr*p quality) but here's a photo that at least confirms it

saw another yesterday c.15.30 quite low on the A120 between Stansted and Dunmow (approx 1 mile west of 1st Dunmow turn off). they seem to be getting more and more common in Essex now, I've seen 2 in last week and that was the 2nd in Stansted area in last month. How long before that part of the A120 is like the M40 around Stokenchurch?

saw another yesterday c.15.30 quite low on the A120 between Stansted and Dunmow (approx 1 mile west of 1st Dunmow turn off). they seem to be getting more and more common in Essex now, I've seen 2 in last week and that was the 2nd in Stansted area in last month. How long before that part of the A120 is like the M40 around Stokenchurch?

I also look forward to the establishment of a large colony of Red Kites in Essex. There are certainly more sightings in Essex (especially late spring/early summer), but I suspect that many are birds that have drifted over from the continent (note - I have no firm evidence to support this). As Red Kites are colonial birds (i.e. like to hang around in groups) and prefer to return to nest where they were born, the prospect of these Essex drifters staying hereabouts to breed is less likely than it has proved to be for Buzzards (rare in Essex not too long ago, now everywhere). Anyway, I hope that I'm wrong!

Stewart

I look forward to Red Kite being common in my local area. I have only ever seen one in the SOG recording area and thats going back a few years. I just never seem to see them even when others get multiple sightings per year.

Had a good passage of Buzzards a few weeks back when a lot were moving through Essex with 12 over the garden but try as I might no Red Kite moving with them.

I've seen more local Ring-billed Gulls (about 8) than Red Kites (1) !

I've just read that registration for tickets to this event (with David Attenborough) ended on 8th May! Got any black market tickets?

Stewart

I may be able to get behind the scenes at Abberton but sadly there's no ticket vault to break into. Wonder if Mr Attenborough accepts bribes?

I have a single ticket that I'll reluctantly let go on any bids upwards of a million pounds.

Yeah yeah, I'm searching!

I did think it was a stupid day for them to do it on...

... unless it's primarily a partnership/corporate focused event, at which the public are an unecessary nicety.

I work at a charity and we do loads of mid-week events, as usually they're not aimed at the public or at individual donors. They're often about corporate fundraising, at maintaining/building partnerships in related industries/charities, networking, launching/finishing large projects, etc. Joe Public wouldn't really add anything to these events and would hardly ever even be invited.

I'd not be surprised to hear the Abberton thingy is the same. Though of course I've not read anything about it in any way whatsoever, so this is entirely speculation :)

... unless it's primarily a partnership/corporate focused event, at which the public are an unecessary nicety.

I work at a charity and we do loads of mid-week events, as usually they're not aimed at the public or at individual donors. They're often about corporate fundraising, at maintaining/building partnerships in related industries/charities, networking, launching/finishing large projects, etc. Joe Public wouldn't really add anything to these events and would hardly ever even be invited.

I'd not be surprised to hear the Abberton thingy is the same. Though of course I've not read anything about it in any way whatsoever, so this is entirely speculation :)

The date and timing might wholly be to do with the availability of David Attenborough. I would imagine that he has an extremely full diary and the odd available date might be months ahead. (After all, it is strange to have an 'opening event' so very long after the place was 'open'!)

Anyway - that's my (more generous) speculation. Stewart

The date and timing might wholly be to do with the availability of David Attenborough. I would imagine that he has an extremely full diary and the odd available date might be months ahead. (After all, it is strange to have an 'opening event' so very long after the place was 'open'!)

Oh, there's nothing un-generous about my speculation. Just saying that with my knowledge of working in the charity sector, success and longevity are all about partnerships and building/maintaining goodwill with people.

This event is hosted by a Essex and Suffolk Water to celebrate of the completion of all the work they've been doing rather than the centre or reserve. They had a previous opening day for the centre with Michaela Strachan.

For all you naysayers, there is a photo in today's Colchester Gazette of the Trumpeter Swan in Dovercourt which validates 100% the claims of Boneys and Marsh Warbler.
Such cynicism is most unbecoming.
Phil

This event is hosted by a Essex and Suffolk Water to celebrate of the completion of all the work they've been doing rather than the centre or reserve. They had a previous opening day for the centre with Michaela Strachan.

Thanks Tom - got the situation now. Mind you, if they are celebrating 'completion', what is happening to the planned island that the so-called 'Island Hide' is supposed to look out on, but doesn't? With the new high water mark, there may little prospect of the old 'island' being exposed. Indeed, with the high water the chances of a good July-September period for waders must have decreased. In the past, the exposed edges and the island have attracted Buff-breasted Sandpiper, White-rumped Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, to name just three. There is much that is very good about the new Abberton Reservoir, but - with the relative lack of muddy edges and islands, I fear that we might not see such wader-fests again.

Again I hope that my fears are wrong and not guided by all that cynicism!

Stewart

Thanks Tom - got the situation now. Mind you, if they are celebrating 'completion', what is happening to the planned island that the so-called 'Island Hide' is supposed to look out on, but doesn't? With the new high water mark, there may little prospect of the old 'island' being exposed. Indeed, with the high water the chances of a good July-September period for waders must have decreased. In the past, the exposed edges and the island have attracted Buff-breasted Sandpiper, White-rumped Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, to name just three. There is much that is very good about the new Abberton Reservoir, but - with the relative lack of muddy edges and islands, I fear that we might not see such wader-fests again.

Again I hope that my fears are wrong and not guided by all that cynicism!

Stewart

I always thought that as the water level dropped during summer and autumn that the island will still become exposed and that the "natural edges" will become more exposed and inviting to waders. See pic I managed to find below which is a few years old. #2 Suggests several islands but I don't know what has or will come of that.

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 52
I always thought that as the water level dropped during summer and autumn that the island will still become exposed and that the "natural edges" will become more exposed and inviting to waders. See pic I managed to find below which is a few years old. #2 Suggests several islands but I don't know what has or will come of that.

Yes, point 2 refers to the "creation" of islands. This may have been done and they are there just under the surface ready to be exposed when the water level drops in the summer. However, I'm not aware that this has been done. My concern is that, with the new much higher levels of water in the new reservoir, the water level might not now fall sufficiently to reveal the 'old' island.

Stewart

Last edited:
Yes, point 2 refers to the "creation" of islands. This may have been done and they are there just under the surface ready to be exposed when the water level drops in the summer. However, I'm not aware that this has been done. My concern is that, with the new much higher levels of water in the new reservoir, the water level might not now fall sufficiently to reveal the 'old' island.

Stewart

It is unlikely that the old island will appear unless we have a severe drought, but given that this island was miles away I wouldn't worry too much about that. The new natural banks should bring waders closer and I still think there will be plenty of them - there were good numbers of waders last year and I expect the same in 2015, though maybe not in the numbers that used to appear in the past!

Daryl

It is unlikely that the old island will appear unless we have a severe drought, but given that this island was miles away I wouldn't worry too much about that. The new natural banks should bring waders closer and I still think there will be plenty of them - there were good numbers of waders last year and I expect the same in 2015, though maybe not in the numbers that used to appear in the past!

Daryl

Thanks Daryl

I think that over the series of posts on this question, I've conflated a couple of issues.

The first issue is the island (or ex-island). You're right that the old island was a long distance from the nearest viewing point. I remember when the White-rumped Sandpiper first appeared on that island how people strained to get a decent view and speculated on whether a host of other waders might be that bird. However, I thought and the leaflet posted by Tom suggests, that there were plans for a new island (or islands) and that promised a much better prospect for attracting and viewing waders. Indeed, why call a new hide Island Hide when there's no island to be seen from it (and, as you say, most unlikely to ever be seen except come some very severe drought)? It seems a strange case of nostalgia to dedicate a hide to a physical entity that has gone. Usually, they name them in dedication to a person (eg 'Gwen').

The second issue is the banks of the reservoir. Here I accept the point that the new reservoir, with its 'softer' edges, holds the prospects of a greater extent of muddier edges that will prove attractive to waders should the water level fall. What I don't know is whether the water authority has 'better' infrastructure to maintain higher levels of water as the summer months progress. We'll see.

Stewart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back