• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (2 Viewers)

Couple of record shots from Abberton Reservoir today. Black Tern and Red Kite, not bad finds on a day where I thought I'd see nothing.

Attachments

• IMG_6838.JPG
    IMG_6838.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6864.JPG
    IMG_6864.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Funny thing tom, its actually a trick of the camera. When people take themselves and their photography too seriously, they take a picture, with one of those rubbish grey lenses and the light can play tricks. I can safely say that "black tern" is actually a painted snipe. Better luck next time finding a scarcity.

:)

There was a Yellow-legged Gull at Mistley Quay today. I saw it at high tide on the island off the quay. It was laying down 'snoozing' at first (when I noticed the darker shade of grey on the back), but then began to walk around (revealing the legs) as the rising tide began to shrink the island. This bird was reported last Friday, and an adult YLG has come to this part of the Stour in previous years.

A couple of record shots are on the EBwS website.

Interesting to note that the Egyptian Geese that I reported from there are classified as 'uncommon' (or some category like that) whereas Yellow-legged Gull are not! In this part of Essex, it's difficult nowadays not to see Egyptian Geese in any watery location, whereas Yellow-legged Gull is much more of a turn up for the books.

Stewart

Just had a Med Gull amongst the Black-headeds from my bedroom window and then the garden where I took the pic from. I'll be paying more attention from now on.

Attachments

• IMG_6868.JPG
    IMG_6868.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 48
Finally caught up with marsh tit in county this year - a family group of three, maybe four birds at Brookes Wood this afternoon. Always amazes me how flighty they can be and how many times they call and I'm not quite 100% sure it wasn't just a great/coal tit playing silly buggers. Anyway, seen well in the end, in the apparently usual spot west of the layby.

Finally caught up with marsh tit in county this year - a family group of three, maybe four birds at Brookes Wood this afternoon. Always amazes me how flighty they can be and how many times they call and I'm not quite 100% sure it wasn't just a great/coal tit playing silly buggers. Anyway, seen well in the end, in the apparently usual spot west of the layby.

4 would be mega for that patch, very happy to hear it, posted that there were two at some point last year, but to see they have bred would be amazing.

Are they a family unit, as long as I have birded there, Only ever had two, great news.

Well there were three, possibly four, so that might be 25% less mega right away.

They were very active and very mobile within a small area, at one point loosely attached to a larger mixed flock that then disappeared, leaving the marsh tits behind. They were almost impossible to approach and really difficult to see for any length of time - I was always viewing through several layers of trees and undergrowth - but one bird, an adult, was seen carrying food and associating very closely with at least two other birds for a prolonged period. I didn't manage to see feeding, or any juveniles for long enough to be 100% sure they were juvenile, but the behaviour and number indicated a family group.

Twitter was fairly certain this is a purple emperor. Brookes Wood, a week or so back.

Anyone know their status in Essex? I heard about a re-intro scheme at Markshall a couple of years ago...

Attachments

• CKxnBHpWUAAYZmk.jpg large.jpg
    CKxnBHpWUAAYZmk.jpg large.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
It looks as though four Spoonbills are roaming around the Colne Estuary. There is a report on EBwS website yesterday (3rd Aug) of these birds flying west over Colne Point heading up the Colne estuary. However, there was a report, with excellent pictures, on the Wivenhoe Birds website of these birds already present the day before (2nd Aug) further up the Colne towards Wivenhoe. They look to be juveniles, and could turn up again the Colne estuary or elsewhere in Essex.

Back to Purple Emperors, in the above message from Steve, he says "had one 2 years ago on aug 8th there". Where is the "there" Steve? James's post refers to both Mark's Hall and Brookes Wood? Are you referring to the latter. I saw a Silver-washed Fritillary at the usual location on The Avenue at Marks Hall a few days ago, and I noticed pictures on Purple Emperors at the Visitor's Centre - so they are about there.

Stewart

It looks as though four Spoonbills are roaming around the Colne Estuary. There is a report on EBwS website yesterday (3rd Aug) of these birds flying west over Colne Point heading up the Colne estuary. However, there was a report, with excellent pictures, on the Wivenhoe Birds website of these birds already present the day before (2nd Aug) further up the Colne towards Wivenhoe. They look to be juveniles, and could turn up again the Colne estuary or elsewhere in Essex.

Back to Purple Emperors, in the above message from Steve, he says "had one 2 years ago on aug 8th there". Where is the "there" Steve? James's post refers to both Mark's Hall and Brookes Wood? Are you referring to the latter. I saw a Silver-washed Fritillary at the usual location on The Avenue at Marks Hall a few days ago, and I noticed pictures on Purple Emperors at the Visitor's Centre - so they are about there.

Stewart

Brookes wood, second large field, an ash pile by the big oak tree. The nest box is being used too

Osprey at Abberton

I see that the Osprey, first reported yesterday afternoon, has been reported again this morning. Apparently, it had an early morning fish and could be observed, from the Layer Breton causeway, sat in a tree eating its catch.

Yesterday, the bird was first reported sat on posts below Layer-de-la-Haye church. It stayed there for about an hour, before taking high flight. I had to drive through Colchester (Britain's oldest recorded traffic jam) and, having got caught in traffic, arrived just after the bird took flight. On a hunch, based on behaviour of Ospreys in previous years, I drove around to the Layer Breton Causeway. Just after I arrived there, the bird duly flew in, flew around over the western end of the reservoir, and caught a fish. It flew off with the fish, over the trees at the far end, and was lost to sight (well, at least from where I was standing).

I reckon that there is the best of chances that, like several other Ospreys, this bird will set up a short residence around the Layer Breton end of Abberton Reservoir. (I trust that I'm not tempting fate saying that!)

Stewart

Was on layer breton for ages today, saw the Osprey on three occasions in between it's disappearances, and was nice to see it fish. Also had Buzzard, Marsh Harrier, Kestrel, Hobby, juvenile Little Ringed Plover, Common Sandpiper, Ruff, Yellow Wagtails and more Egyptian Geese than I can ever remember seeing.

Attachments

• IMG_7026.JPG
    IMG_7026.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7019.JPG
    IMG_7019.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 49
A female Red-backed Shrike was found at Bowers Marsh RSPB yesterday evening and is still present this morning.

It's favouring the fence line at the base of the tip about 300m east of the SW corner of the reserve, so about 400m or so past the Great Pound viewpoint if you're walking anti-clockwise from the car park.

A really long wait for the Osprey this afternoon, me and Steve Halstead arrived at around 9am and were told it was last seen around 6am, so we were sure it would appear any minute. But a long 4 hours later, surely the longest period of daylight it hadn't been seen for on any day, after a surprise Bittern had flown by and just as we read the report one had been seen at Fingringhoe which we were discussing whether or not it was the same bird, it finally appeared beyond the trees to the north west of the causeway, maybe it was perched behind there the whole time who knows? It gave us a nice display, 3 or 4 fishing attempts before it gave up and headed towards the centre.

More pics here

Black-necked Grebe also seen fairly distantly.

Attachments

• IMG_7309.JPG
    IMG_7309.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7357.JPG
    IMG_7357.JPG
    317.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7460.JPG
    IMG_7460.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 40
A female Red-backed Shrike was found at Bowers Marsh RSPB yesterday evening and is still present this morning.

It's favouring the fence line at the base of the tip about 300m east of the SW corner of the reserve, so about 400m or so past the Great Pound viewpoint if you're walking anti-clockwise from the car park.

I had a good long trek around that part of the reserve today - late morning to mid-day - and didn't locate the Red-backed Shrike. (However, having my 6-year old son with me, my concentrated attention was a bit below par!) But, I notice on the EWbS website that there was another negative report later in the day. So, the bird might have moved on.

On the Osprey front, I'm glad to see that my prediction that the Abberton bird would stay around didn't tempt fate. Thanks to Tom for the pictures.

Stewart

I witnessed quite a wildlife spectacle at Abberton Reservoir today. It was happening in Hide Bay, whilst most birders were hanging around Layer Breton causeway, with Osprey on their minds. It was a spectacle of the activity of a common and often much-maligned species - the Cormorant. But this time, there were probably over 200 of them in a tight group/raft, fishing like fury with the water bubbling and churning with activity. As the Cormorants were busy, twenty-or-so Common Tern were attracted by the prospect of pickings and joined in the spectacle. Something - fishwise - was happening under the surface.

As a bit of a twitcher and lister, I've thought before how easy it is to overlook the activities of more common species. It also struck me that with a Spring Watch or Attenborough media touch, the sort of activity I witnessed today could be turned into prime-time TV entertainment: the right sort of music; cut to the underwater view; have a lilting commentary about how the group of birds work together; etc. We'd be glued!

Stewart

PS Thanks Neil for correcting my thought that the Red-backed Shrike might have disappeared. It looks like a few birders failed to locate this bird as it went missing for periods. It only needs a bird like this to perch up for a while at the backside of a bush or hedge, for a passing observer to miss it. And, a long old trudge it is to end up missing the bird you're hoping to see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back