• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (3 Viewers)

Best wishes to all for good birding fortune in 2016.

I didn't get much opportunity to get a list started today, but early morning visits to my garden by a female Blackcap and three Redwing boded well.

There's an large and interesting mixed finch and bunting flock present near Ardleigh Reservoir, around the junction of Dead Lane and Wick Lane. There are over a 100 birds in the loose flock, but precise counts are difficult. They are in place that in frequently disturbed by traffic, are quite flighty, and there isn't much place to pull over to watch. There is at least one Brambling in the flock, with the rest, in descending order of abundance, being: Yellowhammer, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch and Linnet. If the flock stays around and if it grows, it is just the kind of flock that should attract Tree Sparrow, or (you never know) a rarer bunting.

Stewart

Had three marsh tits at Brookes Wood yesterday, at least. Two were feeding in brambles in the willow scrub area at the western end of the wood, with another calling near the layby at the eastern end. There were two "possible" birds heard too, both too brief to be sure of. Seems a fairly reliable site for them at the moment - had them easily the last three visits.

On another note, has anyone been to look for the Braxted hawfinches recently? Noticed a bloke with a scope at the entrance to the golf club (NW corner of the estate, on the Kelvedon road) as I drove past a couple of weeks back, but wasn't able to stop to chat. And as no news has come out since then, that I've seen anyway, I'm guessing no luck was had. This graph of ebws records certainly doesn't look great.

stepped outside of SOG area today to enjoy the Goosanders at Lake Meadows, Billericay. There were 5 drakes and 3+ females, mostly spending there time under the willows at the far end by the boat house. At one point early afternoon all but one suddenly departed.

I believe these birds do this when it gets to busy around the lake, tones of dogs and general JP around.

Despite the grim light managed several half decent images and also added a couple of Siskin the year list here.

Not everyday get views of Goosanders this good.

Attachments

• Goosander Lake Meadows 02-01-2016 WEB 093.jpg
    Goosander Lake Meadows 02-01-2016 WEB 093.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Goosander Lake Meadows 02-01-2016 WEB 054.jpg
    Goosander Lake Meadows 02-01-2016 WEB 054.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Goosander Lake Meadows 02-01-2016 WEB 055.jpg
    Goosander Lake Meadows 02-01-2016 WEB 055.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Goosander Lake Meadows 02-01-2016 WEB 159.jpg
    Goosander Lake Meadows 02-01-2016 WEB 159.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 50
Belated Happy New Year all! Certainly been a bit more lively offshore than usual - no doubt due to the combination of strong onshore winds and colder weather moving westwards across the continent, Bonxies have been seen offshore Frinton every day for the last two weeks with exceptional numbers well into double figures on some days - generally all seen moving south. Up to mid Dec it was one of the worst years I have had for skuas, but now is probably the best for Bonxie! The Little Gull movement on 2nd Jan was similarly unprecedented with some lovely tight flocks moving past close of the shore. There are also Gannets (adults and immatures) being seen most days, which is unusual, and good numbers of dabbling duck heading south.

RLB still present and showing well most days too around the golf course and Holland Haven.

Good birding all

Regards

Paul

2+ Mealy Redpolls were still with the Lesser Redpoll flock in the game strip along Chigborough Road in Heybridge this morning. Also present were one Yellowhammer and several Linnets, Chaffinches, etc.

At Abberton a cracking drake Smew was close in off the Layer Breton causeway, while both the Slavonian and Black-necked Grebes were still east of Layer-de-la-Haye causeway. 4 distant Bewick's Swans were also viewable from here along with 26 Goosander, with another 2 Goosanders from Abberton Church.

2+ Mealy Redpolls were still with the Lesser Redpoll flock in the game strip along Chigborough Road in Heybridge this morning. Also present were one Yellowhammer and several Linnets, Chaffinches, etc.

At Abberton a cracking drake Smew was close in off the Layer Breton causeway, while both the Slavonian and Black-necked Grebes were still east of Layer-de-la-Haye causeway. 4 distant Bewick's Swans were also viewable from here along with 26 Goosander, with another 2 Goosanders from Abberton Church.

I called in at Chigborough Road on Tuesday, but I'm now regretting not going earlier in the morning. By late morning, the Redpoll flock wasn't showing quite so well and by midday it appeared to go AWOL, to feed on a more distant game strip. I had a possible Mealy or two, but I'm far too conservative and wary on ID to call them for sure. Myself and two other birders (including Sean Nixon who'd photographed a couple of Common Redpoll well the previous day) left without any fixed IDs. By the way Neil, was one of your Mealys a bright male with a good pink flush to the breast?

I see today there's a report of a Black-throated Diver on the Stour viewed from Wrabness. Interesting, as the only diver that I and other regulars have seen from there is a Great Northern. Additionally, this report also adds a sighting of 10 Goosander in this hot-spot for large gatherings of Red-breasted Merganser. Well, you never know!

Stewart

I called in at Chigborough Road on Tuesday, but I'm now regretting not going earlier in the morning. By late morning, the Redpoll flock wasn't showing quite so well and by midday it appeared to go AWOL, to feed on a more distant game strip. I had a possible Mealy or two, but I'm far too conservative and wary on ID to call them for sure. Myself and two other birders (including Sean Nixon who'd photographed a couple of Common Redpoll well the previous day) left without any fixed IDs. By the way Neil, was one of your Mealys a bright male with a good pink flush to the breast?

I see today there's a report of a Black-throated Diver on the Stour viewed from Wrabness. Interesting, as the only diver that I and other regulars have seen from there is a Great Northern. Additionally, this report also adds a sighting of 10 Goosander in this hot-spot for large gatherings of Red-breasted Merganser. Well, you never know!

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

The two Mealies we were happy with were 'normal' looking first winter-types. The '+' was a male as you describe, but we only saw it more or less front on, so couldn't be sure.

As for the Wrabness reports, they do indeed sound somewhat unlikely, and they come from someone calling themselves Bob Hoskinz - not their real name, surely..?! :eek!:

New Year's greetings all!

The drake Smew was still at Manningtree today, feeding busily mid-channel on falling tide but rather elusive- I'm thinking it probably has a lake or pond somewhere nearby where it chills out when not on the river.

Stewart

we had them first thing Sunday (8.30 ish) before it started to rain - 50+Lesser and certainly 1 Mealy, maybe two as the light wasn't too clever. Also a Brambling, Yellowhammer and Reed Buntings - not bad for less than a mile from home!

The 1st winter Glaucous Gull showed very well at St Osyth at mid-day today. I'd taken about 12 steps from the car park and there it was sat on the sea wall just a few yards from me. It would have made a great photo, but did I have my camera with me? Nevermind, Clive Atkins has posted some good flight shots on the EBwS website. Today, the bird was patrolling the beach area, north from the car park at Seawick Holiday Village, in the direction of the Martello Tower.

I didn't see the recently reported Black Redstart in that location.

Stewart

Happy new year everyone.

Nothing too shocking, tons of goosander around the causeways (mainly ldlh)

Smew already mentioned

I have been spending more time recently nearer home at stretches of road and track near bocking with some suprising results.

A marsh tit, some 400 chaffinch in a never ending flock (I am looking closely as it seems unlikely there would be no brambling there, some redpoll have made an appearance.

On the subject of siskin. Have become better at finding them or are there more about this year. A solid flock of around 40 circle near the fennes in bocking and atop the aldersyou see them, its a hard photo but not impossible through the tight knit branches.

Again, happy new year.

I think I will start a braintree and bocking list for this year.

I suspect there are good numbers of siskin around this winter following the long and heavy autumn passage along the coast. I haven't looked at combined monthly totals past Frinton but suspect well over 5000 which is exceptional.

Still good numbers of red throated divers offshore and great skuas Surprisingly few kittiwake given the strong winds but they are variable year on year. Now if only that glaucous would patrol a little further north.... ;0)

Here’s a word of advice for those heading to Heybridge GP to see the Great Grey Shrike. Yesterday and today (at least), the bird (see photo) was frequenting bushes at the far end of the lake. This is a different location to the bushes around the bench at the eastern end, where the Great Grey Shrike was to be found at the end of last year. Unless you’re up for a long walk around the lake, you’d be better off parking at the other end. To get there, turn into Hall Road (off the B1022 between Maldon and Heybridge) and drive right to the end where there’s a small car park (and some street parking). Today, the Great Grey Shrike could, at times, be watched without even leaving that car park!

Presumably, this bird is the same as the one present at Heybridge at the end of last year. However, it seemed to go missing or unreported for a period of a month or so. Whether this was down to the behaviour of the bird (perhaps moving to Osea Island or another remoter location) or the behaviour of observers (perhaps more birders returning to this site in the new year to begin their lists) is a matter of speculation.

Talking of the behaviour of observers, it was interesting to note that as more birders went to St Osyth recently to see the Glaucous Gull, then more new and interesting birds were found there: Dartford Warbler, Black Redstart, Snow Bunting, Mediterranean Gull. On one visit there, I had the surprising encounter of kicking up a Jack Snipe from an area of marram grass. It flew up silently from just in front of me then quickly landed in an area of grass and low scrub not far behind me, never to be located again!

Jaywick is a strange old place to go birding. The sandy area (with its scrub and grass) and the beach are delightful, but the rest of the area doesn’t really enhance the birding experience. One local character asked me what we (a small group of birders) were doing there and I said something to the effect of “looking for a rare bird”. His jovial response, which he repeatedly shouted out as he walked on, was: “Hey, we get some real rare birds down here in the summer!” I don’t think he was referring to Bee-eaters!

Stewart

Attachments

• Great Grey Shrike - Heybridge Jan15 1660x1200.jpg
    Great Grey Shrike - Heybridge Jan15 1660x1200.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Thanks for the word of advice Stewart, I hadn't realised that you could still park at that end!

With a window of around 30 minutes I arrived in the car park about 12.40 today in the light rain. After 10 mins or so the rain eased off and I went for a wander only to find the shrike perched up in a bush about 150 yards from the car park! Went back to the car to get the 'scope and returned to see the bird diving into one of the bushes in the reed bed just as the rain started to fall again.

On another note, the Glossy Ibis has been seen for the past three evenings coming in to roost at Wat Tyler C.P. around 5pm. It's come in from the west each evening so can only realistically be seen from the path along the west side, just before the first hide when approaching from the Green Centre car park.

Note that the park officially shuts at 5pm and the gates could be locked at any time from then and there's a real danger of being locked in!

The county's good run of Dartford Warblers continues. I found one this afternoon just south of the car park on Wallasea Island. It only showed a few times, twice quite fleetingly, but as is often their wont it was associating with a small group of Stonechats which will hopefully make it a bit easier to relocate.

Ticked Great Grey Shrike - thanks to EBF!

I have to say thanks to the regulars on the Essex Bird Forum.

I'm a terrible birder - I just don't get out there often enough and frequently have my children in tow, which doesn't help (that's my excuse, anyway) - but I always check the forum before heading out and have had some great days in new places. Yesterday, however, I did see the shrike (life tick, needless to say) and it showed off for a good five minutes right at the top of the taller trees where the path splits - about 100yds from the Battle Rise car park gate.

Later, at Abberton, it was back to my usual form as I missed a bittern flypast while staring at a feral Chinese Goose in the flock of Greylags west of the Layer Breton causeway. There were at least four pairs of Goldeneye around the reservoir, though, which was a small consolation!

Anyway, thanks - there are readers out there, even if we don't post!

And a question ...

Also at Abberton (Bay Hide), saw what I think was a juvenile smew. Is there anything I could be confusing it with? Never saw one before.

Smallish duck shape, quite slim and almost 'grebeish' about the head. Dark red/brown to top of head and back of neck, with sharp demarcation to white front neck. Greyish body and plain dark beak - quite short, delicate - definitely not long like goosander or chunky like a tufted and not sharp-looking.
Bird jumped up and forward as it dived, which it did frequently.

It was a long way off, so even in scope the view wasn't brilliant.

I have to say thanks to the regulars on the Essex Bird Forum.

Anyway, thanks - there are readers out there, even if we don't post!

What a generous comment. Thanks to you too, and glad that you got to see the GG Shrike. With positive comments like this, I reckon I'll continue to post info about local birds.

To that end, here's a few more comments about birding at St Osyth. Though the Glaucous Gull has now moved on, there's still some good remaining stuff around there (as Darrell Stile's post on EBwS website today confirms). Here a bit of info (not all of it new I realise, but up-to-date, as I was there today). The starting point is to park at the end of Beach Road by the sea at Seawick Holiday Resort. This won't appear as the most promising place to start birding, but work through it!

Black Redstart: This bird can prove illusive, but it does favour exploring the rocks by the sea wall south of the car park. If disturbed (as might happen as the day progresses) it can fly into the maze of caravans and be lost.

Snow Bunting: There are a regular 7 birds and they are usually to be found feeding on the tide line on the beach to the north, just beyond the Martello Tower. They can be quite confiding if approached carefully (photo opportunities).

Dartford Warbler: This long-staying bird continues to be found in the scrub further north - opposite, or further north of, the obvious Irish cottage with shamrocks, etc.

Purple Sandpiper: Today one was on the rock sea defence, just off the beach, and a little north of the Dartford Warbler location.

Sanderling: 20+ birds patrol the beach, often alongside Turnstone.

Mediterranean Gull: there is one present in the vicinity, though I haven't seen this bird. I reckon that it lingers around the local chip shop!​

Hope this helps folks - Stewart

Also at Abberton (Bay Hide), saw what I think was a juvenile smew. Is there anything I could be confusing it with? Never saw one before.

Smallish duck shape, quite slim and almost 'grebeish' about the head. Dark red/brown to top of head and back of neck, with sharp demarcation to white front neck. Greyish body and plain dark beak - quite short, delicate - definitely not long like goosander or chunky like a tufted and not sharp-looking.
Bird jumped up and forward as it dived, which it did frequently.

It was a long way off, so even in scope the view wasn't brilliant.

Sounds like a female Smew - a 'redhead'!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back