• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (2 Viewers)

A Purple Heron was seen & photographed from the main hide at Wat Tyler at 12.30 this afternoon. As far as I know it was only seen by the finder, but he does have a series of very good photo's!

Edit: It's apparently just been seen again very briefly - time to leave work I think!

Wow! A quick bit of research shows that: this is the first bird in the county since 2004; it's the 26th recorded bird (or something around that figure); but significantly, the earliest record for the county. Hope it lingers.

Stewart

Last edited:
So do I, as I had to leave 15 mins before its last showing today..:-C

It showed for 2 seconds at 17:15 (for those looking in the right driection!), then a more extended flight at 19:10

Wow! A quick bit of research shows that: this is the first bird in the county since 2004; it's the 26th recorded bird (or something around that figure); but significantly, the earliest record for the county. Hope it lingers.

Stewart

Hi Stewart

There have been two Purple Herons in Essex since 2004:

- Fobbing Marsh 2nd May 2005
- Abberton Reservoir 8th-9th June 2007

There is a photo of each bird in the 2005 and 2007 EBRs respectively.

The Wat Tyler bird is still present today and shows occasionally - I got lucky and saw it very well only 15 minutes after arriving at the packed hide (standing room only!) and the long-staying Glossy Ibis flew over the scape 20 minutes after that. Not a bad hour away from work.

All the best

Paul

Hi Stewart

There have been two Purple Herons in Essex since 2004:

- Fobbing Marsh 2nd May 2005
- Abberton Reservoir 8th-9th June 2007

There is a photo of each bird in the 2005 and 2007 EBRs respectively.

The Wat Tyler bird is still present today and shows occasionally - I got lucky and saw it very well only 15 minutes after arriving at the packed hide (standing room only!) and the long-staying Glossy Ibis flew over the scape 20 minutes after that. Not a bad hour away from work.

All the best

Paul

Thanks Paul - I stand corrected. I did say a "quick bit of research". I should have said a "quick poor bit of research"!

Stewart

Regarding the Purple Heron, do we park in the main car park? If anyone could give directions please. Does the bird show best in the morning or evening etc? Any further updates or information would be appreciated.

Hide is on the left c300 yds into the park, car park is opposite the hide.

You need a key for the hide, but should be someone there to let you in.

Park opens officially at 8, but often earlier. Gates shut at 7 and there's a real chance of being locked in if no keyholders are in the hide.

Heron showed 5 times yday, 9.30,11.30, 1.30, 3.40 & 7.20, but not today as yet.

There's been no sign at all of the Purple Heron today, last time it was seen was by about 8 of us when it flew past the hide last night at 7.20pm and landed in the reeds to the left. The reedbed is extensive so if it goes onto Pitsea Marshes or Bowers it could avoid detection for some time.

Hide is on the left c300 yds into the park, car park is opposite the hide.

You need a key for the hide, but should be someone there to let you in.

Park opens officially at 8, but often earlier. Gates shut at 7 and there's a real chance of being locked in if no keyholders are in the hide.

Heron showed 5 times yday, 9.30,11.30, 1.30, 3.40 & 7.20, but not today as yet.

Thanks for that Neil.

It would appear that afternoon is better so will hopefully give a go at some point over the weekend. :t:

Barn Owl

Ingrebourne Valley whilst looking for a Kingfisher, I was amazed and delighted to see a Barn Owl hunting, combing the grass next to the footpath. At one point it was less than 10m away. It dived and caught some prey and flew off. Great.

Attachments

• Barn Owl.jpg
    Barn Owl.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 84
Hen Harrier Day at Rainham Marshes in August 2016

A major Hen Harrier Day event will be held in Essex this summer – at Rainham Marshes RSPB reserve on Saturday 6th August. For all of us who wish to show our disgust at the continued persecution of Hen Harriers on grouse moorland, there is no need this year to travel up to Derbyshire, there’s an opportunity coming to our doorstep. Chris Packham will be speaking. Further details will be coming on the website of Birders Against Wildlife Crime from mid-May.

If you haven’t already done so, can I encourage you to sign the new epetition to ban driven grouse shooting. Over 26,000 people have already signed in the space of four weeks. Of course, the epetition by itself won’t bring an end to driven grouse shooting, but it constitutes part of strong momentum that is building. Sign it not only to help stop the persecution of Hen Harriers and other birds of prey, but also: to stop the attendant slaughter of Mountain Hares; to stop the ruination of blanket bogs and the consequent adverse effect for climate change; to create opportunities for better up-stream management of moorland and the reduction of flooding; to promote environmental improvement and help rewilding projects; and so on. All of this argument is spelt out in Mark Avery's book Inglorious.

Stewart

Some good birds around Essex past few days with Franklins Gull at Abberton, a pair of Black-winged Stilts at Vange and a very very nice female Red-footed Falcon there this afternoon.

Attachments

• Red-footed Falcon Vange Marsh 14-05-2016 WEB 156.jpg
    Red-footed Falcon Vange Marsh 14-05-2016 WEB 156.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Red-footed Falcon Vange Marsh 14-05-2016 WEB 157.jpg
    Red-footed Falcon Vange Marsh 14-05-2016 WEB 157.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 64
First post here... A couple of interesting visitors at my local park in Goodmayes, Ilford. A Pochard and a Barnalce goose!

Attachments

• barnacle.jpg
    barnacle.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 88
  • pochard.jpg
    pochard.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 105
Female Red-footed Falcon showing very well today around lunchtime at Bowers Marsh. The bird was at rest and hunting dragonflies in the south west corner of the reserve. It looked as cosy here as the local Kestrels!

Bee Orchid

Anyone managed to find any Bee Orchids? A quick look at the traditional site by the Ardliegh roundabout/Balkerne Gate pub failed to produce any.
sean

In the summer doldrums, two notable birding occurrences in NE Essex:

At the Hythe, three (or four) Grasshopper Warblers are present and have continued their reeling over the past five days or so. Phil Carter's patch continues to turn up trumps!

The site-loyal adult Yellow-legged Gull has return to the Stour estuary at Mistley. Look for it on a lower tide, mid-way along The Walls. As last year, it loves to sit on a salient lump just off where one of the ice cream vans usually park. Today, it flew off at around 11am to loaf on the field opposite. Ed Keeble's patch turns up trumps too!

Details (and photos) of both of these on EWbS website.

And that's about it! Stewart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back