• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (2 Viewers)

This week down Stanford Warren NR, there were 2 Kingfishers on the lake, making a noise and flying around.
About 20 Swallows saw off a Sparrowhawk. This evening with the hotter weather plenty of Dragonfiles. The Kingfisher went past a couple times. Swifts high up overhead.

This week down Stanford Warren NR; on the fishing lake, one Kingfisher flew in to fish and then another, right in front of me. It was there for a few minutes, dived, caught a fish and flew off.
Kingfisher every evening, this evening heard the 2 tone call from an island. That's probably where the nest is. Great!

Last edited:
A pair or 2 Kingfisher next to each other on the creek at Stanford Warren. Thats a few times I've seen them now. There's a Sparrowhawk nest nearby. The Swallows have a next again under the sluice. Still some Swifts. Another birder saw the Hobby.

Hi Zomerset

I just wanted to say thanks for keeping this thread going... I've just started to take a keen interest and have always loved Kingfishers. Stanford Warren is local to me so I'm hoping to get out soon and hopefully see them for myself.

Hi Zomerset
I just wanted to say thanks for keeping this thread going... I've just started to take a keen interest and have always loved Kingfishers. Stanford Warren is local to me so I'm hoping to get out soon and hopefully see them for myself.

Hi Billy, the best time to catch them along the creek is at low tide, before the sluice on the creek. I see they got a map showing their location up at the visitor centre. That made me laugh.
It's been high tide, all evening this week, so they were on the lakes.
This evening saw the 2 again. One dived & caught a fish, another flew in, one stopped in front of me. Saw them over a dozen times. A good evening.

Thames Thurrock NR; I was impressed today by the number of Starlings gathering.
Not sure how many there were, a few hundred? maybe four hundred+.
Swallows still feeding and flying up and down the road so maybe they still have young?
An increase in House Martins. A Kestrel over the fields.
I ran a couple laps around the reserve, as I finished, it started to rain.
The Kingfisher was sat on the sluice wall, the first time this late summer.

Thurrock Thameside NR, the Kingfisher this week either at the sluice or along the creek. Swallows & House Martins. The Kestrel again. Starlings gathering again.

Kingfishers all week again down Stanford Warren NR. Best was 2 chasing on the fishing lakes and then one at the sluice. Not quite a murmuration of Starlings but a few hundred. Kestrel a couple times.

A good evening down Thurrock Thameside NR. I ran around the NR whilst a Kestrel hunted, Swallows over the field & Starlings gathering. My first Hare for a while.
Then the Kingfisher flew in to the creek & sluice, calling all the way from the lakes.
Then I checked the Stanford Warren NR creek and there was a Water Vowl.

A quick visit to Stanford Warren fishery, there were fishermen on the usual quiet cove past the island.
As I walked back the Kingfisher was on the back stretch and I got close to it. I stood still and it did a poo.
Then it saw me but did not fly off, as I did not move.
When I did move to get my phone for a photo it flew off lol.

Stanford Warren Kingfisher fledglings! Three Kingfisher fledglings. One lucky not to be taken by a Sparrowhawk. A parent flew in with a fish & they flew off to go fishing. Great!

Stanford Warren NR, three Kingfisher. One high diving, 2 tone calling, loud splashing into the lake. A juvenile bobbing at the edge. Then one sat at the sluice.

Stanford Warren lakes; a juvenile Kingfisher. Then I looked at the back lake, as I did the high diving Kingfisher flew in. Then a calling adult along the back straight. On the Wharf lake, a two tone calling Kingfisher by the entrance. Sparrowhawk flying over.

One of the best evenings down Thurrock Thameside NR. I had finished my run, it was dusk. Messing about I whistled to the Kingfisher at the sluice. A big bird flew in and sat on the sluice wall. It then flew up and circled over my head. Then I realised it was a Barn Owl. I walked along and it continued to circle over my head for a few minutes. Very close. It went off still circling areas. Great!

Stanford Warren; the regular Kingfishers. The best was a Sparrowhawk chasing & missing a gull. The Kestrel over the Thurrock Thameside NR field then this evening a hovering Kingfisher.

Last week, same as usual the Kingfisher either on the Mucking sluice or the Stanford Warren lakes.
The same again this week.
Tuesday the Kingfisher went over the sluice calling.
This evening I saw the Kingfisher dive on the back lake and fly off calling.
I hadn't checked the match lake for ages and as soon as I entered a Kingfisher flew past and off around the lake.
I walked all the way around and there was another on the opposite side.
I assume juveniles.

The Stanford Warren lakes Kingfisher was very vocal this week, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Wednesday a Marsh Harrier went over.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back