• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Eswatini June 2019 not sure which species (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

All nations have the right to govern themselves
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Here is a bird from Eswatini taken 15th June 2019 that I found in the Southern Black Tit folder for that year. Drag and drop error obviously.

I need help in identifying it please. Possibly an immature Black Cuckoo Shrike?

Thanks very much in advance

I have the unaltered originals if that helps, I can post them too.

Attachments

• ARD_1375.JPG
    ARD_1375.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 27
  • ARD_1376.JPG
    ARD_1376.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 27

Andy Hurley

Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Thanks James. I don't think the tail is forked, at least not cleanly and it looks like one of the center tail feathers is missing or tucked behind others. Also there is some barring on the vent/undertail coverts

Andy Hurley

Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Thanks Andy,

I'll leave it as unidentified and file it in file 13 as I better shots of both birds mentioned to date.

Andy Adcock

England
Hi Andy,
Just a technical note re the new country name. I think it rather oddly, was written eSwatini when I first became aware of the change?

Andy Hurley

Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi Andy,
Just a technical note re the new country name. I think it rather oddly, was written eSwatini when I first became aware of the change?
Yes, you are right. I think it is decsription of their country, ie land of the Swazi's, possibly "of the Swazi" 'of the' being the e part... My Swazi is probably up there with my San. I might have learned a few words while I was there, but no longer remember them. If I was to live there permanently I would try harder.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread