• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopia -- Eastern Olivaceous Warbler? (1 Viewer)

jstanleyg

Greetings. I am thinking this is an Eastern Olivaceous Warbler, but was wondering what I‘d be looking for to rule out Upchers. Are these photos good enough to determine this? (I‘m not great with warblers...they usually end up being another Willow Warbler)IMG_8161.jpgIMG_8164.jpg

Greetings. I am thinking this is an Eastern Olivaceous Warbler, but was wondering what I‘d be looking for to rule out Upchers. Are these photos good enough to determine this? (I‘m not great with warblers...they usually end up being another Willow Warbler)View attachment 1433444View attachment 1433445
I am struggling as the primaries are not in view in either of the photos. However I would expect the tail to look darker on the upper side than it appears in photo 1 if it were Upchers

Considering EOW, the bill seems surprisingly broad and vertically compressed, which is normally a feature of WOW ( which shouldn't be in Ethiopia)

Last edited:
The critical part of the wing profile is obscured by branches (tertial to primary ratio), also the extent of the UTC’s to tail.

Sorry.👍

I am struggling as the primaries are not in view in either of the photos. However I would expect the tail to look darker on the upper side than it appears in photo 1 if it were Upchers

Considering EOW, the bill seems surprisingly broad and vertically compressed, which is normally a feature of WOW ( which shouldn't be in Ethiopia)
Based on studying photos of an individual EOW last year, I would caution that judging bill shape can be very difficult from photos, and can look misleadingly flat and broad-tipped unless viewed directly from above or below.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back