• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopia. Northern Grey-Headed Sparrow? (1 Viewer)

testoduro

Debre Libanos Monastery, near Adis, summer. I first thought it was a Swainson on account of the range, but Merlin favours the option of NGHS. Apparently the two species can coexist in this particular spot. The two pictures were taken within the same minute.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Etiopía.jpg
    Etiopía.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • mustery 3.jpg
    mustery 3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
According to my Birds of the Horn of Africa book, N. Grey-headed shouldn't be anywhere near Addis/Debre Libanos. I do however, note that there are plenty of reports on eBird for that species in the area. I wonder how thorough the review process is for that country though? It is appears to be an easy pair to confuse and indeed I am not experienced enough in the region (just a lone Ethiopia trip in 2019) to provide any useful feedback!

I will add that Merlin is NOT to be trusted with tricky ID pairs such as this duo, remember it is a machine and subtle field marks/shape/structure etc. are not within it's capacity.

According to my Birds of the Horn of Africa book, N. Grey-headed shouldn't be anywhere near Addis/Debre Libanos. I do however, note that there are plenty of reports on eBird for that species in the area. I wonder how thorough the review process is for that country though? It is appears to be an easy pair to confuse and indeed I am not experienced enough in the region (just a lone Ethiopia trip in 2019) to provide any useful feedback!

I will add that Merlin is NOT to be trusted with tricky ID pairs such as this duo, remember it is a machine and subtle field marks/shape/structure etc. are not within it's capacity.
Thanks AveryBartels! I fully agree about Merlin not being very reliable, hence my query here. I find Merlin useful mainly for first quick identifications of birds in exotic regions I'm not familiar with.

It's true that both NGH and Swainson's sparrows are like two peas in a pod. The only feature I notice supporting it being a NGH is the stark contrast between its whitish belly and the grey upperparts in picture 1. I've browsed through many pictures of both species and Swainson's seems to be more uniformly gray.

And yes, although the guidebook rules out NGH in Debre Libanos, the ebird app reports the species scattered throughout all Ethiopia, with appreciable densities around Debre Libanos. The IUCN range map for NGH, however, does not include anywhere near Debre Libanos.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back