• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian Curlew or Far Eastern Curlew? (Kyushu, Japan) (1 Viewer)

Faer Out

Japan
I thought I was just shooting photos of Whimbrels until I processed them later and realized 2 of the birds were much larger.

My guestimate: Eastern Eurasian Curlew Numenius arquata orientalis

Can anyone ID the Curlews in these pictures? Unfortunately I only got the Whimbrels in flight. But at least there are the Siberian Whimbrels and Japanese Great Cormorants for size comparison.

5DM41860.jpg5DM41851.jpg

I've not seen one, so keep that in mind, but the buff on the underparts (as opposed to white) and the shape of the flank streaking look better for Far Eastern Curlew; but the bill does not particularly long. I don't know if the local sub-species of Eurasian Curlew can also show this underpart colouration. Wait for others with more experience to confirm or correct.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back