• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian Jay - Scaly Leg Mites? (1 Viewer)

I guess it's a bit unfair that you never actually saw the pic of the bird, so even though I have answers to my questions about the bird, I'll post it again.

Attachments

• 20190801DSC03209RGp900n2.jpg
    20190801DSC03209RGp900n2.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 31
Thanks! Doesn't look happy at all, sadly. Looking up, it does appear to be scaly leg (Knemidocoptes) mites, but as well as these, also worth checking Papillomavirus.

Yeah, I'd also considered Papillomavirus, as it does look a bit "warty" - although it looks closer to Scaly Leg that I've seen in Finches. Either way, it's feeding fine, and easily fights off other Jays over food. Not much I can do - it's too smart to catch. Although not apparent from this picture, apart from his posture (more squatting than standing), he's otherwise fine.

Obviously the main concern is the spread of the Mites or Virus - with illness or injury to Pigeons, I bring them in to either recover or die - but my eyes and reflexes aren't up to the task of catching a Corvid... at least not one that can fly*. From behaviour, favoured perch, reaction to me, I'm reasonably sure it's the same bird that's been like this since last year. No other birds are showing symptoms, so I'll just keep alert for any changes in the other birds.

(*It's not that Pigeons are less intelligent than Corvids (IME they're not), it's just easier to pick one out from a feeding flock of birds than to catch a lone bird.)

Put out a medicated bath for it to bathe in?

I add Citrosan (pic below) to all three bird baths during the breeding season - which may or may not help. However, over the years I've only ever seen a couple of Jays going near the bird baths, let alone bathing.

So to medicate the Jay, I'd need to catch it - the only way of me catching a Jay is if it's too weak to escape, and IME, that invariably means that the bird is beyond help.

I don't think there's anything I can do except remove all food and water, which I don't want to do at this time of year - although I'd have to rethink that if any other birds start to show symptoms. I'm afraid the Jay will either die, survive, and/or lose feet or legs... I've Pigeons with missing legs or feet (tangled in anti-roost netting) that have been visiting (and successfully breeding) for years, so losing feet or a leg isn't necessarily a death sentence.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to respond to my query.

Attachments

• Citrosan.jpg
    Citrosan.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 14
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back