• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Eurasian or Far Eastern curlews, Suncheon, South Korea - April 2020 (1 Viewer)

sandwich311

Hello,
I'm not sure which curlew these 2 pictures are. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Rob

Attachments

• Far Eastern Curlew? or Eurasian Curlew  (1).jpeg
    Far Eastern Curlew? or Eurasian Curlew (1).jpeg
    444.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Far Eastern Curlew? or Eurasian Curlew .jpeg
    Far Eastern Curlew? or Eurasian Curlew .jpeg
    751.2 KB · Views: 69

foresttwitcher

Virtually unknown member
United Kingdom
Rob, as no one has replied yet I thought I would bring this back to the top.

Is it the same bird in both photos?

I have never seen Far Eastern so wait for feedback from someone with experience. The first has a white belly & vent which is better for Eurasian despite the length of the bill. I don't know if the underparts of the second could be described as buffy enough to be Far Eastern or are just in shadow.

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
I'd say at least the second bird is a Far Eastern, given it has a warmer color scheme and cross barring on flanks. First one looks more Eurasian like. A flight shot would definitely make this a lot easier.

johnallcock

They can be tricky to separate on the ground.
As Pete says, the first bird is definitely Eurasian, with white belly and vent.
The second bird is trickier but also looks like a Eurasian to me. It doesn't seem buffy enough for Far Eastern (not only the belly, but also the head, breast and upperparts have a pale ground colour), the flank and head pattern look better for Eurasian and the bill doesn't seem particularly long.

THE_FERN

They can be tricky to separate on the ground.
As Pete says, the first bird is definitely Eurasian, with white belly and vent.
The second bird is trickier but also looks like a Eurasian to me. It doesn't seem buffy enough for Far Eastern (not only the belly, but also the head, breast and upperparts have a pale ground colour), the flank and head pattern look better for Eurasian and the bill doesn't seem particularly long.
I wasn't sure about the second one. I suspect we also have to contend with the ambient light. Pic 1 seems over exposed to me or a least the light makes it difficult to judge "real" colour. In the second the bill looks short for Eurasian but there are gingery tones to the underparts. Flank spots seem elongate like Far Eastern rather than crosses [judging by discussion in Hayman's waders]. So I'm left undecided. it's probably Eurasian and I'm not sure I'd [personally] tick it as FE without finding other distinguishing characters/having a mental impression of it in the field leading me one way or the other.

johnallcock

Going back on my earlier comment. When I posted earlier I thought that the broad marks on the flanks were a feature of adult Eurasian but checking through more photos online, it looks like I misremembered this and the flanks of Eurasian usually have narrower streaks. On that basis, the second bird may be Far Eastern. Are there any photos showing the bird from different angles where the lighting may be more useful?
The first bird still looks like Eurasian to me.

THE_FERN

Not really arguing about the first one, although the bill is super long... I decided the under parts were whitish even if the picture is overexposed.

sandwich311

I've adjusted the exposure for the first picture but I don't have any other pictures of those specific individuals.
Here are a coupe I took Eurasian curlew a couple of days earlier.

Attachments

• Far Eastern Curlew? or Eurasian Curlew - Pant-edit.jpeg
    Far Eastern Curlew? or Eurasian Curlew - Pant-edit.jpeg
    796 KB · Views: 20
  • Curlew.jpeg
    Curlew.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
  • Eurasian Curlew flying.jpeg
    Eurasian Curlew flying.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread