• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European butterflies? Any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Hermann

Germany
Even though it's sort of OT here:

Does anyone know a good app on European butterflies? With English and German names, if possible? Coverage would need to include Central and Northern Europe. Southern Europe would be nice but is not essential. I'm on Android, so I'm only interested in apps that run under Android.

While I'm at it: Does anyone know a good app on frogs and toads? Including their vocalizations?

I'm sort of branching out a bit at the moment, and I'd love to have some nice apps to help with identification.

Hermann

For Lepidoptera, Jos Stratford is probably your best source. He has roamed world wide in his pursuits and is the only BF contributor that I know who does dedicated butterfly trips. His Blog is informative:
http://josstratford.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=460&Itemid=170
Alternatively, Andy Adcock is a fountain of biological information here on BF and would surely be well aware of useful apps as well.
Please let us know what you find and how well they work for you.

For Lepidoptera, Jos Stratford is probably your best source. He has roamed world wide in his pursuits and is the only BF contributor that I know who does dedicated butterfly trips. His Blog is informative:
http://josstratford.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=460&Itemid=170

Many thanks for the compliments, not sure I deserve them :)

Unfortunately, I can't assist in the request for information on apps - I'm still one of rhe dinosaurs that prefers a print book to flick through. However, although not an app, excellent online resources for European butterflies do exist, www.eurobutterflies.com amd Giy Padfield's site prominent among them.

I'd agree with Josh. I'm pretty sure that an app doesn't exist but butterflies can be so hard in Europe I'd go for a selection of books. I still frequently fail with identifications.

Thanks for all the information. I'm also one of those dinosaurs who (usually) prefer books over apps anytime.

However, when travelling and especially out in the field a good app like the Svensson and the Sibley guide or even the (German) "Was blüht denn da?" can be really useful. There's even a good app on bats ("BatLib"), so I'm surprised there isn't one that covers European butterflies. And when you use these apps on a decent tablet they work pretty well as a quick reference.

Any recommendation on a good fieldguide to European butterflies? I'd prefer one that has English and German names and covers the whole of Europe. Even after getting rid of a few hundred books I still don't really have the space for a whole selection of books on butterflies ... :)

Thanks again for the information.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back