European Longevity Records (1 Viewer)

Hotspur

James Spencer
Silly thing, its got Black-winged Stilt as 10 years something from spain. Didnt sammy live longer than that?

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
Hmmm, maybe this data is old but Bewick's Swans top 25 years with a number in that category and the record at Slimbridge (I'm talking wild birds here, not collection ones) is 27 years. Ok, it does say >23 years but it isn't quite right.

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
Hotspur said:
Silly thing, its got Black-winged Stilt as 10 years something from spain. Didnt sammy live longer than that?

Sammy pitched up in 1993 and went missing, presumed dead in 2005 and must therefore be at least 11 years old and was thought to be at least 13 years old but of course the ageing is not done on ringing data here.

mrpjdavis

Colin said:
of course the ageing is not done on ringing data here.

As it says, these figures are derived only from ringing data - to get more information would require an awful lot of work.

One thing that struck me was the number of records of passerines that had been shot in Finland. I thought it was a relatively enlightened country.

Pete

hannu

mrpjdavis said:
One thing that struck me was the number of records of passerines that had been shot in Finland. I thought it was a relatively enlightened country.

Pete

Sorry Pete, but finding details does not mean that those birds had been shot in Finland ! :brains:

robbie_d_e

On the 8th of December 06, I, recovered a ring off of a dead SHAG. The bird was nearly 22 years old and only 38km from where it was ringed.

Marmot

There is some really impressive ages on some of them.

When we were in Cala Bona, Mallorca in Sept 06 (we go there every year though) we came across quite a few ringed Audouins Gulls. We reported them to ESTEBANNIC (BF member in Mallorca) who in turn passed them onto Database at the Biological institute in DoƱana National Park (Southern Spain). One we saw - MP2 - was ringed on an islet off the coast of Formentera (near Ibiza) on 15/06/1995 - the 3rd sighting of this 11 year old bird!.....We will be keeping an eye open for him when we return later this year, lets hope he survives for another 10+ years to get to take the record (20yrs 11mths)

mrpjdavis

hannu said:
Sorry Pete, but finding details does not mean that those birds had been shot in Finland ! :brains:

Doh! I did not notice the word "Scheme" at the top! The birds were ringed in Finland (or by Finnish birders) and then shot elsewhere. I unreservedly apologise for my unintended slur on your countrymen (and women).
:scribe:

Pete

Ade George

When handling birds that are older than you are, you tend to find the rings need replacing. I removed a ring from a manx Shearwater that was put on the bird on my birthday back in June 78, its now got a nice new shiny ring. Also handling a Manxie that was well over 50.

talon_dfa

I don't know about the Euro records, but the BBL records are for recovered bands only...

I know of recaptured live birds that are older than BBL longevity records.

Users who are viewing this thread