• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Shag or Great Cormorant? (Greece, Crete) (1 Viewer)

JarJar

Hello everybody,

is it possible to ID this bird? I tend between European Shag or Great Cormorant..

Seen in Greece, North-Crete, swimming on the sea, 15. april 2014

Thanks a lot,
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1743.jpg
    IMG_1743.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 110
The narrow bill and sort-of-steep forehead would make me say shag - but the bare skin at bill-base appears rather like cormorant, which underexposure doesn't help us to see clearly. Any more photos of it?

Hello,
thanks for the new picture. It is easier to asses an important feature with more confidence in more pictures.

I agree with Butty, its a Shag. Please note the points Butty has already mentioned and the isolated eye (would be sorrounded by yellowish/warm-creamy bare-skin in a Cormorant)

I would say shag too, if you look closely enough at the second picture it does look like there may be a slight crest/tuft at the front and rounded towards the back of the head to the neck. I will admit that the light can be deceptive though!

Last edited:
More of a peak than a crest or tuft then Butty - what i meant, was the shape of the head is more akin to a juvenile Shag with the crown peaking at the front Instead of the back of the head, and as you pointed out earlier the steeper forehead angle / slender bill.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back