• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Excel to Word (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Can anyone tell me in idiot speak if possible, if there's a simple way to convert an Excel document to Word?

Thanks in advance

Can anyone tell me in idiot speak if possible, if there's a simple way to convert an Excel document to Word?

Thanks in advance

Really depends on what kind of Excel document and what kind of formatting do you want to conserve - the question is quite a broad one.

A simple thing to try is to select a whole sheet in Excel (CTRL+A) and then copy it (CTRL+C) and then just paste in Word (CTRL+V) - oftentimes this produces a workable table and this conserves all formatting. However if the table is wide, this may be complicated.

The opposite extreme is that you can FILE->SAVE AS the Excel table as .CSV and choose tabulators as delimiters and then open this in Word as a text file - then you will just see the plain contents of the cells separated by tabs as free-flowing text and this then can be molded in Word as much as you wish.

A third way is to print to a PDF file. From adobe acrobat (or I assume from adobe online) you can export to word. With this route there will be some loss of formatting as well.

Niels

Really depends on what kind of Excel document and what kind of formatting do you want to conserve - the question is quite a broad one.

A simple thing to try is to select a whole sheet in Excel (CTRL+A) and then copy it (CTRL+C) and then just paste in Word (CTRL+V) - oftentimes this produces a workable table and this conserves all formatting. However if the table is wide, this may be complicated.

The opposite extreme is that you can FILE->SAVE AS the Excel table as .CSV and choose tabulators as delimiters and then open this in Word as a text file - then you will just see the plain contents of the cells separated by tabs as free-flowing text and this then can be molded in Word as much as you wish.

What I want to do, is transfer a bird list which is in excel, all I want are the species names, common andd scientific. This will just save me time in typing them in, all I'll do is delete stuff from the checklist we didn't see.

I tried copy and paste which transfers the text but it also carries over gridlines and all the formatting that is within the document and makes it really awkward the include any text.

What I want to do, is transfer a bird list which is in excel, all I want are the species names, common andd scientific. This will just save me time in typing them in, all I'll do is delete stuff from the checklist we didn't see.

I tried copy and paste which transfers the text but it also carries over gridlines and all the formatting that is within the document and makes it really awkward the include any text.

When you highlight the text you want to copy and then go to the word doc you want to transfer it to you should have 3 paste options (Keep Formatting/Merge Formatting/Keep Text Only)? Probably the last one should work best?

Try this: select the fields in excel you want over and hit copy (Ctrl^C)
In word, if your copy is a similar age to mine, hit the down arrow below the paste button (see attachment). Of the three options that appear, select the one containing a "A" as part of the symbol, usually the right hand one.

Niels

PS: all three of us have essentially the same idea.

Attachments

• paste arrow.JPG
    paste arrow.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 11
Thanks all but Jan (Oppiska) has don it for me.

My problem it seems was complicated in that my OS, Windows 7, has Libra installed. When I upgrade to W10 as I surely will have to, can I load Word in to it?

When I upgrade to W10 as I surely will have to, can I load Word in to it?

When I upgraded to W10 I was able to load Open Office, so don't see why Libra should be a problem.

Why was Libra an issue for what you wanted to do? It's a long time since I wanted to do what you did, but I was able to do it via OO (once I understood the terminology that is LOL)

If it is a spread sheet then you need to copy into Numbers rather than Word.
Kit, numbers is the Apple software “version” of Windows Excel. He wants to move data from Windows Excel to Windows Word.

The last 3 ways mentioned should work.

When I upgraded to W10 I was able to load Open Office, so don't see why Libra should be a problem.

Why was Libra an issue for what you wanted to do? It's a long time since I wanted to do what you did, but I was able to do it via OO (once I understood the terminology that is LOL)

It's been a pain in many ways Delia, often, my wife would send documents that wouldn't display properly no matter what we tried, especially if they were sent from a Mac.

I save everything in the old Word format as I don't trust the newer versions with it quite frankly!

Give Open Office a try then. I've been using it for years now and it works well for me.... and it's Free!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back