• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Exchange action of Zeiss straps!!! (1 Viewer)

Received my new strap last week, put it next to my binoculars, wife decided to “do me a favour “ and take it upstairs but for some strange reason left it at the top of the stairs, the dog promptly chewed it and Completely destroyed it , life doesn’t get much better does it��

I received mine today. It doesn't seem as well made as the original, to be honest, so this one will go into the box and I'll keep using the old one.

My "safe" strap arrived while I was on holiday and today I noticed two differences from my original strap for my 10x42SFs.

The rear of the padded neck piece had an inferior backing, the SF strap had a gripping liner, the new one plain slippy nylon.
The leather "end piece" where the broad neck band joins the "nylon"? lanyard is different. On the original strap the leather narrowed to match the width of the lanyard. The Zeiss logo was also on the narrow leather whereas the safe strap has the logo on the simpler leather end piece.
The replacement strap looks cheaper (Terra rather than SF?) than my original and does not match the quality of a binocular costing around £2000.

I wish I knew the risk of using the old strap rather than the safe strap. What information is available regarding the risk?

I wish I knew the risk of using the old strap rather than the safe strap. What information is available regarding the risk?

Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons have been linked to certain cancers and to cardiovascular disease.
That sounds bad, but it hasn't stopped people from smoking, using wood stoves or charcoal barbecues, driving cars, roasting coffee beans or peanuts, eating smoked foods or darkly charred meat, etc. These all contribute to PAH exposure.

My "safe" strap arrived while I was on holiday and today I noticed two differences from my original strap for my 10x42SFs.

The rear of the padded neck piece had an inferior backing, the SF strap had a gripping liner, the new one plain slippy nylon.
The leather "end piece" where the broad neck band joins the "nylon"? lanyard is different. On the original strap the leather narrowed to match the width of the lanyard. The Zeiss logo was also on the narrow leather whereas the safe strap has the logo on the simpler leather end piece.

interesting, thanks. Whereas my green-dot replacement (for recently bought 10x42 SF) is identical to my original, in every respect.

So either Zeiss changed strap design recently, independently of the replacement action, or they are merrily sending out replacement straps for binoculars with serial numbers indicating they shipped with the new strap anyway.

Or Cley Spy put the new strap on mine before they sold it; I didn't think to check.

Received my strap last week whilst I was away. It will go in the box for if/when I change the binocular. I much prefer the Rick Young strap anyway.

Yes, you have the correct strap for your HT binocular.

It is exactly the same strap for all binocular models.

Gary

So Gary why is my replacement strap different to the original?
I have unformed Zeiss UK of the differences. Very crudely the replacement strap is inferior to the original apart from it's lack of carcinogenic properties.
One of the differences I didn't mention in my previous post is the coarse weave of the fabric (nylon) compared to the original SF strap.
The replacement strap is not a £2000 binocular strap.

This - exactly! In fact my new one had a significant defect in the nylon webbing - see photos. I have expressed my concerns to Zeiss and asked for a replacement. I'll see what happens.

MandoBear your photographs nicely illustrate the point I was making about the coarse weave of the fabric.The original SF had a finer stronger weave.Incidently when I purchased my 7x42 T* P* in 1997, I also bought the optional extra strap, this has a leather neck piece with neoprene backing and the fabric parts which attach to the binocular are also of a fine weave similar to that of my original SF, they were also wider.

I've received replacement straps for my FL and HD bins and the replacement strap looks virtually identical. On the new strap the neck piece is slightly wider and has a fabric rather than rubberised back. So for me its a slight improvement.

I've received replacement straps for my FL and HD bins and the replacement strap looks virtually identical. On the new strap the neck piece is slightly wider and has a fabric rather than rubberised back. So for me its a slight improvement.
Hello Richard

I cannot comment on the FL and HD straps my binocular is an SF.
However I have worked in the Clothing and Textile Industries and therefore am more aware of the quality differences. I should say that the SF original strap matched the quality standards of my 1997 7x42 Dialyt with the official optional extra strap and also that of a well known market leader which also had a similar backing to the broad neck piece as well as the finer weave of the fabric lanyard.

I received my lens cleaning kit today (been on holiday for the past two weeks) many thanks to Adam at Zeiss UK for sorting my internet problem and ensuring my lens cleaning kit arrived. Very pleased with Zeiss UK's customer relations.
Thanks to all concerned.

Sorry to labour my point about the replacement straps, but I have just looked at the Zeiss Nature Catalogue 2019/2020. The cover photograph shows a young woman holding a pair of SFs with exactly similar straps to my original SF strap. Inside the publication there are several more photographs of people with SF binoculars including Dr Gerold Dobler also with straps similar to mine. The transition from the broad neck piece to the fabric lanyard is altogether more stylish (and expensive?) than the replacement.
I guess I expected a similar strap without the carcinogens.
I accept that the replacement strap will be functional, although this thread has indicated a couple of issues.
I guess in the end it's style vs risk.

Got my strap replaced. Sent my SF in for service at the same tome as strap replacement and they replaced the old strap on those so now I have two new straps!

So Gary why is my replacement strap different to the original?.

I did not say the strap was the same as the original. I said that the strap was the same one for all the binocular model i.e. the Terra, Conquest, HT etc. are all supplied with the same strap.

Your original strap had a rubberised backing and the new one does not - hence they are different.

Gary.

I did not say the strap was the same as the original. I said that the strap was the same one for all the binocular model i.e. the Terra, Conquest, HT etc. are all supplied with the same strap.

Your original strap had a rubberised backing and the new one does not - hence they are different.

thanks Gary; is it the case that you can tell visibly the new PAH-free strap from earlier straps then?

Or were there "new-style" straps produced before the removal of PAH from the manufacturing, that look the same as the new PAH-free version?

Hmm, I've not put that well; in other words: if all my straps look identical to the one that Zeiss sent out as a PAH-free replacement, does that mean they are all PAH-free?

I hope I've not muddied the waters further, thanks :)

Sorry to labour my point about the replacement straps, but I have just looked at the Zeiss Nature Catalogue 2019/2020. The cover photograph shows a young woman holding a pair of SFs with exactly similar straps to my original SF strap. Inside the publication there are several more photographs of people with SF binoculars including Dr Gerold Dobler also with straps similar to mine. The transition from the broad neck piece to the fabric lanyard is altogether more stylish (and expensive?) than the replacement.
I guess I expected a similar strap without the carcinogens.
I accept that the replacement strap will be functional, although this thread has indicated a couple of issues.
I guess in the end it's style vs risk.

Just back from 3 weeks holiday on the western-most tip of Ardnamurchan in Scotland and am surprised to find criticism of the new straps. I am no stranger to criticising Zeiss accessories and have done so of SF eyecups for years, but I don't find anything wrong with the new straps at all and in two particular aspects they are superior to the old straps.

I took 5 new straps with me because I use them on all my binos no matter what brand they are. I like it because it is tailored so that it lies flat on your shoulders around the base of your neck and doesn't hang from the back of your neck.

PeterPS has already pointed out that the new straps are longer and this is correct and a very good thing because it allows you to pass the ends of the straps an extra time through the buckle to make the binos more secure. I have had binos on other straps where on two occasions the lanyard ends were so slippy they slipped through the buckle and the binos headed for the ground. I saved them in time in both cases. Anyway the extra length allows you to make the binos more secure and still have plenty of length to adjust their position on your chest. I hadn't noticed that they have a coarser weave but if correct I would think this would make slippage less likely although I should point out I have never had slippage with Zeiss straps.

So after 3 weeks of field-testing, attached to 32mm and 42mm binos, scrambling over sea-weedy rocks, through bogs, over rivers and up heather-covered hills I can say the new straps are comfortable (used with either thin clothing or heavy weather-proof jackets), well made, and above all, they hold the binos securely.

Lee

Last edited:
thanks Gary; is it the case that you can tell visibly the new PAH-free strap from earlier straps then?

Hi,

Here is a picture of the back surface of the old and new straps.

The old one is at the bottom and the new one at the top.

On the old one you can see a rubberised material with a mottled pattern.. This is now missing from the new one.

Gary

Attachments

• L1030852 (3).JPG
    L1030852 (3).JPG
    293.9 KB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back