• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

extenders (1 Viewer)

"Also, unlike Jay's unit, the image is soft through the booster compared to the unboosted image. "

Did you drop this booster? You say the image is soft, but I could read that sign with both of these boosters at 200 yds. and could not without using them.

"I don't deny what you see, if there's any advocate of the subjective view"

Ok I just thought I could read that sign. I really didn't I guess.

"It is amazing how we never agree on what we see through the same optics! After every, and I mean every, post I make about optics we've both used, if I say potato, you say pa-tah-toe (though hopefully you don't spell it with an "e" like Dan Quayle :)"

I doubt this will happen again.

Made an adaptor for my Zeiss 8x30 B monocular to fit the Elite extender and was pleasantly surprised of the quality of the image - actually comparable to the SE 8x32. Wonder how the Zeiss would do with all the newest coatings?

John

Steve
Nice of you to post about your experiences with the 2.5x Elite doublers as well as the EO brand. I bought my first Elite back in May and the 2nd in July after recommending them to some other members. Like you, I have no trouble with usability although the eye placement is a little critical at times, especially when I have them mounted on some 10x25 compacts in bright sunlight at the beach. The ebay seller hasn't sold any in the last month, so I guess he sold out the 84 pcs or so that he had. Not hard to see why at the $30 or so that they went for. Quite a nice view and useable object for so cheap an investment.

Funny how potato has an "e" when it is plural. Maybe Quayle just left the "s" off.;)

Thanks Tom! These extenders won't replace a good spotting scope, but would help ID a bird/read a help wanted sign etc. Brock must of sold his Nikon 8x32SE.

Last edited:
I used to keep a pair of 10x25's in my surf bag, but replaced them with some 10x28 Excursions. With the extender I can see what the boats anchored about 300-400 yds offshore are catching and using for bait, and I don't mind getting a bunch of salt spray on them. I keep the one in my car and the other one downstairs in my lab and test area.

Speaking of scopes, I finally broke down and bought a Nikon ED50 Fieldscope and several eyepieces so my new tripods wouldn't look so lonely.;)

Tom, Now that is a vision extender I can live with and do. What all eyepieces do you have. I missed out on the ones Doug had for sale. I would of bought the 20/30/38x but probably bought the 27/40/50x. I have both of the zooms.

With all three Nikons-- 8x EII, 10x EII, and 10x SE.

Brock

Would not know about those and either Extender my self.

My Eagle Optics one performed well enough with my 8xSE, that I decided to "upgrade" to the Elite one.

On the 8x SE, fits on the occular's eyecup well, and it makes a very nice combo. Image reminds me of a good early 90's spotter.

Something i failed to mention before, is the close focus performance. A few months back, I used this combo when out hiking without my pair of Papilios. Close focus was a tad over the view naked eye from 4 inches away. It was also of good quality.

Other binos I have tried it with, and had good results:

12x SE (the shallow focus complicates it a tad. To avoid noticable CA with the 12x when it is boosted, focus has to be spot on.)

Swift 8.5x44 ED

Leupold 8x32 GR HD (Optically speaking, but the problem is the eyecup being to wide for the Extender. The bino has a huge eye lense.)

But the best results are with my 8x SE, which, kinda figures :t:

Have not tried it with my alphas of yester-year, but i do remember the Eagle Optics one working well with the 7x42 Zeiss Classic, optically, though it could not fit on without being held on.

Last edited:
Would not know about those and either Extender my self.

My Eagle Optics one performed well enough with my 8xSE, that I decided to "upgrade" to the Elite one.

On the 8x SE, fits on the occular's eyecup well, and it makes a very nice combo. Image reminds me of a good early 90's spotter.

Something i failed to mention before, is the close focus performance. A few months back, I used this combo when out hiking without my pair of Papilios. Close focus was a tad over the view naked eye from 4 inches away. It was also of good quality.

Other binos I have tried it with, and had good results:

12x SE (the shallow focus complicates it a tad. To avoid noticable CA with the 12x when it is boosted, focus has to be spot on.)

Swift 8.5x44 ED

Leupold 8x32 GR HD (Optically speaking, but the problem is the eyecup being to wide for the Extender. The bino has a huge eye lense.)

But the best results are with my 8x SE, which, kinda figures :t:

Have not tried it with my alphas of yester-year, but i do remember the Eagle Optics one working well with the 7x42 Zeiss Classic, optically, though it could not fit on without being held on.

Glad to hear your unit worked well enough for you to want to upgrade to the better model, and that it works well on a variety of bins.

The convenience of using a booster instead of having to carry around a spotting scope and tripod was very appealing. I thought about buying a booster for quite awhile, but balked because of the small exit pupil.

Unfortunately, the booster proved far from convenient, because of the image blackouts. So back it will go for a full refund! :)

Brock

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back