• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extinct Hawaiian Crows (1 Viewer)

Melanie

Germany
From the upcoming IOC (August 23, 2018)

Subject: *
Morphology, Ecomorphology and Development
Presentation Type: *
Poster
Title of Abstract: *
Morphological diversity in extinct Hawaiian Crows (Corvus)
Authors:
Helen F. James
Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, USA

Abstract *
Holocene fossils of large crows (genus Corvus) are known from most of the major Hawaiian Islands, with up to three species recorded on a single island (the island of Hawaii). The fossils represent two extinct (Corvus viriosus, C. impluviatus) and one extant (Hawaiian Crow, C. hawaiiensis) species, plus one or more undescribed species. I assess the morphological diversity in Hawaiian Corvus using comparative osteology and morphometrics. The Hawaiian corvids are comparatively large in body size and disparate in the structure of the maxilla and mandible. Corvus impluviatus had a distinctly domed maxilla and curved tomial crests, whereas C. viriosus and similar fossil forms had long, straight and narrow bills. The recent discovery that the Hawaiian Crow can learn to use tools in captivity in a manner similar to the New Caledonian Crow (Corvus moneduloides) raises the possibility that the extinct Hawaiian straight-billed crows were tool users. A unique adaptation within Corvus was displayed by an undescribed species of crow from the island of Hawaii, which had a bony buttress on the caudal part of the mandible similar to that observed in New World jays (i.e., Aphelocoma) and the Akiapolaau (Hemignathus wilsoni), a Hawaiian honeycreeper. The buttress presumably functioned to stabilize the mandibular articulation during hammering or pounding with the lower mandible, a behavior that the extant Hawaiian Crow employs to open large, hard seeds. It remains to be discovered whether the Hawaiian species of Corvus, with their high morphological diversity in the feeding apparatus, belonged to a single evolutionary radiation.

https://www.iocongressabstracts.com/abstract_summary.php?mode=public&abs_id=2085

I hope they will publish a paper on this topic, in particular due to the fact that at least two extinct Hawaiian crows are still undescribed.

Descriptions of Thirty-Two New Species of Birds From the Hawaiian Islands

The descriptions of both Corvus viriosus and Corvus impluviatus can be found in:

Helen Frances James & Storrs Lovejoy Olson, 1991
Descriptions of Thirty-Two New Species of Birds From the Hawaiian Islands: Part II. Passeriformes
Ornithological Monographs No. 46 pg. 11-22

Free pdf: https://repository.si.edu/bitstream...awaiian_passerines.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y

Interested in part I, non-passeriformes:

Storrs Lovejoy Olson & Helen Frances James, 1991
Descriptions of Thirty-Two New Species of Birds from the Hawaiian Islands: Part I. Non-Passeriformes
Ornithological Monographs No. 45: 1-88

Free pdf: https://repository.si.edu/bitstream...awaiian_non-passer.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y

Enjoy,

Fred

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back