• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyebrowed Thrush in Norolk (1 Viewer)

First eliminate all the birders on this list who are well known responsible birders, then when most have been whittled down, the others could maybe reply justifying why they are not the hoaxer. think Norgate is top of the list with the innocent ' I'm going to be looking for this bird' yarn but he admitted to me personally the other day he has no morals, proper X Files this - everyone's a suspect.

Cheers Pom, very helpful! I was tempted to post a pic of one I found in Tokyo a couple of weeks ago, but decided better of it (by the way it wasn't perched in a blossom tree)

I still can't find out anything about the bird. Coincidence that the tweeter is not from Norolk?!? Lucky blighter if it is real!!

Go on Chaps, get the data off the pic.

No sure about you lot in Norfolk, but none of the trees in my garden have buds like those at the mo...

The buds look to me like they belong to a Salix (Willow) sp. - look like they are breaking so that would mean the photo was taken Jan-April - depending on location/species.

If I am wrong on the plant ID is there any (ornamental or wild) woody shrub/tree that has buds breaking in November in the UK?

The buds look to me like they belong to a Salix (Willow) sp. - look like they are breaking so that would mean the photo was taken Jan-April - depending on location/species.

If I am wrong on the plant ID is there any (ornamental or wild) woody shrub/tree that has buds breaking in November in the UK?
Plants have all been mixed up this year. Some trees and shrubs are still producing new growth.I am a gardener by trade.

Last edited:
Anyone else had their contribution to a thread beaten, twice in as many minutes:-O

Only once so far, but that was because I was too slow this time!

Buds.... plus doesn't this look like a very bright bird, maybe an adult, possibly female in Spring?

The photo also looks like a photo of a photo or a video grab. Classic track covering if you don't want dodgy exif data spoiling your fun.

Perhaps I have been in this game too long but it still don't feel right to me.

What is this about TillSmith not posting from Norfolk?

GH

I wonder if there are any other photos? Such as a grab shot as it flew away. Apart from being blurry, its actually a very good photo.

Anyone want to comment on the light conditions in the shot, been out birding in Norfolk last three days and its been very overcast. Moment I saw the photo thought, yep thats the kind of light we have been having especially if this was taken on Saturday (i'd be surprised if it was Sunday when it was sunnier- pretty weak argument I know but would say thats something thats in its favour + plus the bud thing has now been justified - if this is a hoax its a pretty elaborate one.

it does seem strange to me that this person appears to have signed up on twitter just to report this sighting (first tweets were to @rarevine and @birdguides) surely there are far easier ways to report a rare bird sighting.

Here's another of the tweets, again sent to Birdguides (so, classic attention seeking?)

"Just read on Surf birds the EB thrush is a hoax.I repeat its not.There are to many disbelieving birders about these days"

It seems we're also looking for someone lacking a grasp of the English language...

Is there something going on with its left leg? Looks like a ring may have been cloned out.

Attachments

• AePVho_CQAA5F2s-2.jpg
    AePVho_CQAA5F2s-2.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 520
Perhaps we need a (dis)organised flush of Hunstanton tomorrow - 100 birders in a line strung out across the town walking slowly from north to south

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back