• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyebrowed Thrush in Norolk (1 Viewer)

What I see here is akin to School-yard bullying, while the teachers (mods) just look out of the windows. It's a credit to Garry that he remains so gentlemanly in his responses to such overt hostility, and that's what it is, no bones about that. No matter what he says there's always another one lining up to have a pop. He loves what he does, have some respect for that. Shame on you bullies, do you think the man has no feelings at all?

Sláinte Garry. ;)

Twite.

The legendary Beesands Rovers ! Used to think of myself as their midfield maestro in the Rivelino mould, thinking back more like an overweight Bambi on ice :-O

Couldn't remember if it was Utd or Rovers! Played a quite a few times out there circa 1998-2005.

What I see here is akin to School-yard bullying, while the teachers (mods) just look out of the windows. It's a credit to Garry that he remains so gentlemanly in his responses to such overt hostility, and that's what it is, no bones about that. No matter what he says there's always another one lining up to have a pop. He loves what he does, have some respect for that. Shame on you bullies, do you think the man has no feelings at all?

Sláinte Garry. ;)

Twite.

The fact that Garry himself started the football league analogy means that he's bound to draw comment.
The fact that he's a grown man, rather than a timorous child, means he's perfectly able to engage in debate.
I see no sign of bullying here, only a convergence of opinion that his "premiership" comment may well be exclusive and condescending.

Peter

The fact that Garry himself started the football league analogy means that he's bound to draw comment.
The fact that he's a grown man, rather than a timorous child, means he's perfectly able to engage in debate.
I see no sign of bullying here, only a convergence of opinion that his "premiership" comment may well be exclusive and condescending.

Peter

It wasn't me Sir...he started it. :C

Sláinte Garry. ;)

Twite.

This coming from the poster who elected Mr Lethbridge as '***ker of the year'. The mods must have not even been at home that day.

I think three in a row like this should get you Birdforum w***** of the year award. You have my vote.

Twite.

Last edited:
I'm not putting anyone down, I think all human beings are equal. I like people that are interesting in Birding regardless on upbringing, colour, wealth etc. Anybody that knows me, can confirm these qualities in me.

I believe using Football leagues to group people on life lists is a bit of fun. Pure and simple, not elitism at all.

Crawley F.C. have now made significant investment and are now playing football in League 2.

Twitchers who make significant investment in their hobby will move up whatever listing mechanism they use.

If Crawley don't loose a football match for the next 2-3 years they go into the Premier League.

If a Twitcher gets the majority of new birds over say a 12 year period, they will have 500 birds and be a Premiership Lister.

I started Nationwide Twitching in '99 (Age 32). I went crazy then because I had just spent 18 years pursuing another hobby with a significant cash investment and I was playing catch up with a hobby that was my first love way back in '77 (Age 10).

Garry,
good luck with your venture. Any idea who you are going to choose to be Sepp Blatter :-O

Some of us go birding to get away from football. One of the best birding days of the year is FA Cup day - May, and nobody on the roads but birders!

As for Premiership birding - who wants to be compared to Rooney - or Giggs - or any of the other insatiable sh*ggers and intellectual giants of the game - give it up!

John

Gary. Lets be honest there is very little skill involved in twitching! Time and money are the big factors in getting a big list. Please correct me if I am wrong?

To quote yourself you like being a birding celeb (if such a thing exists). The Jordon of the twitching scene perhaps!! Like your mentor Mr LEGO, if you choose to be in the limelight, then flak is part of the deal. That is just the way it is!

I do not care if you have seen a Waterthrush or indeed any of the features of the Sussex Long Toed Stint. Only you know what you have seen. If you did not choose to put youself in the limelight, then no body would be much concerned either. The fact that I suspect you want to be famous really does not help your cause!!

The birding scene is full individuals who see themselves as important when the reality is somewhat different. Birding is a hobby to be enjoyed at whatever level you choose, nothing more nothing less.

Remember to, that you have only seen all these rare birds, as a result of dedicated patch and rarity finders who, in many cases do not twitch other peoples birds?

Enjoy your birding.

Regards.

And yours came across to me as pompous, arrogant and rude.

Surely this whole thing is just a bit of fun?

As soon as I read the comment about being a "modern premiership birder".
My first thought was how patronizing. I could be wrong or maybe. I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message anyway.. :t:

If some British Bird Finders change holiday plans from Scilly/Shetland to Ireland in the near future...find some American goodies and bingo, we might get the British & Irish American Warbler list closer to 30 species mark.

Or they could turn up at such a location, sit in a pub and contribute nothing to the birding scene, then write a stupid patronising comment a few years later.

Smacks of 'do as I say, not as I do' ! :eek!:

Andy.

go team bagnell

take no notice of the stupid comments against you mate! You deserve to be a premiership birder after the premiership performance you put into your birding :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: well done :t:

cheers
steve :t:

FWIW: I think you come across as a really nice (if somewhat aspergic) guy, Garry.
There's nothing wrong in taking pleasure in one's own achievements.
A long time ago, I realised I was never going to have the time or money to twitch the more remote parts of the UK, so I enjoy plodding around East Anglia: that doesn't mean I don't understand the motivation of the serious listers.
Like Norwich City, I've been in and out of the Championship / Premiership, but will never be a serious contender for any titles!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back