• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyeglass use (1 Viewer)

Would it be safe to say that the majority of posters on this forum wear glasses?
In Germany around 66% of people wear glasses, around 43% constantly, the rest wear leisure or reading glasses.

I think it is similar in western countries, the increase in glasses wearers is particularly noticeable among young people, which is probably also due to the increase in Internet use, in a few years' time wearers of permanent glasses will certainly make up the majority!
This is an important finding for binocular manufacturers, eyeglass-friendly glasses will be more popular.

Andreas

Would it be safe to say that the majority of posters on this forum wear glasses?
I would assume so (but this is speculative).
The other question would be: how many of this majority would keep their glasses on while using their binoculars (I don‘t)?

Another penalty of cultural assimilation?
And I thought you all had eyesight like Wedgetails :).

John
John, well generally eyesight like Wedgetails applies ! I don't think I did my eyesight any favours by fanatically reading 'The Three Invesigators' series by dim bedside light, late into the night when younger ..... pretty sure it was Uni that finally wrecked it - I ended up making Mr Magoo look like he had 20/20 vision !

Just as well I've got the Eagle Eye Vision that counts though 😊

Chosun 🙅‍♀️

The other question would be: how many of this majority would keep their glasses on while using their binoculars (I don‘t)?
Oh yes - religiously !

If I don't then I'm blind as a bat !
I can hear birds and look in the general direction pretty accurately - just can't seeum !
It's a major hassle to put glasses on and off all the time - an exercise is frustration - missing many fleeting glances. I also find it's more chance for lenses to get grubby.

Lately, there has been a smidge of astigmatism creeping into my eyesight, so glasses help there too. I also find that they keep long eyelashes from becoming an annoyance when viewing through binoculars without them.

So for me, and others like me, the evolution of long ER and extra wide Fov binoculars is a very welcome thing. 👍

Chosun 🙅‍♀️

I wear varifocal spectacles and keep them on while using binos. My eye problems are not severe but they include astigmatism and prism. Having spent significant money on binos it would seem strange to me to not bring my eyes up to the standard so that they can make best use of the binos so many years ago I decided to wear spectacles all the time when using binoculars. Without my spectacles I would not spot half of the distant subjects that I subsequently view through the binos so to me they are an invaluable optical aid.

Lee

Just as well I've got the Eagle Eye Vision that counts though 😊
Chosun,

After remarks about colour casts in various bins and your previous job on another thread, could it be that you have a fourth colour receptor?
That and apochromatic eagle eyes would be the ideal of most here!

John

I wear progressive glasses that correct for astigmatism so if I want a clear view I must wear them , especially for astronomy use .
Having to wear glasses changed a lot with binocular choices . I sold both my Nikon E2's because I couldn't get comfortable with them while wearing glasses , I tried and tried to no avail :cry: . Replaced the E2's with an 8x42 Nikon MHG .

Canip was right, that one should also consider how many take off glasses to view with binos, and others who always have them on.
I took a pair of reading glasses and tried them while viewing, (the ones that look like clark kent glasses - hard core black frames). It showed me that if I were to wear glasses full time, I would have to sell the bulk of my collection.

I wear progressive glasses that correct for astigmatism so if I want a clear view I must wear them , especially for astronomy use .
Having to wear glasses changed a lot with binocular choices . I sold both my Nikon E2's because I couldn't get comfortable with them while wearing glasses , I tried and tried to no avail :cry: . Replaced the E2's with an 8x42 Nikon MHG .
Yes, binocular choices are much less now :(. I do miss all of the choices before wearing eyeglasses. If no glasses I would have kept my little 7x21 Olympus reverse porro and my Zeiss Jenoptem 8x30 porro. I'd probably have a Leica Ultravid HD+ 8x32. I'm happy with what I have now, but it takes more time and effort to find the right binocular these days.

Chosun,

After remarks about colour casts in various bins and your previous job on another thread, could it be that you have a fourth colour receptor?
That and apochromatic eagle eyes would be the ideal of most here!

John
John, I certainly see some weird and wonderful things - things beyond belief - one day when the world is more ready, I may tell .....

Late afternoon if I deliberately look through alternate eyes singly, I notice that one eye takes on a golden-orangey colour cast, while the other one sees a bluey-green cast. Unless I specifically test for this then it just combines into a normal view.

I don't think it's a case of being a tetrachromat .....
I think what I see is more the result of a third eye, rather than a fourth cone.

Chosun 🙅‍♀️

... I don't think I did my eyesight any favours by fanatically reading 'The Three Invesigators' series by dim bedside light, late into the night when younger ...
I don't wear glasses. But I still read the above mentioned series by dim bedside light. I have just finished "The mystery of the murmuring mummy" (German translation) which I had not read for more than 30 years.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back