• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

"Fact 4" (2 Viewers)

z-ben

England
I have just seen an internet clip on which Kowa are boasting about the new 88 foot (dual bolts ).
I find it more than a little hilarious it has taken over 125 years for them to even try and help to stop their scopes rotating on tripod plated to the frustration of all the customers most of whom are still struggling with this problem.

Tringa45

Europe
Two screws are the belt and braces solution but provided a quick release plate has an anti-rotation pin and a metallic top surface (zero compliance), no problems should occur.
Even moderate torque will generate a high compressive force, and friction between the two surfaces, more than enough to cope with any shear or torsional loads. After all, a scope only weighs about 2,5 kg at the most.

John

z-ben

England
Two screws are the belt and braces solution but provided a quick release plate has an anti-rotation pin and a metallic top surface (zero compliance), no problems should occur.
Even moderate torque will generate a high compressive force, and friction between the two surfaces, more than enough to cope with any shear or torsional loads. After all, a scope only weighs about 2,5 kg at the most.

John
Well I have seen birders scopes work loose on the trip out in the boot before the birdings even begun and there are that many tripod plates with rubberised surfaces that not many seem to get the chance of metal to metal and I am always afraid of overtightening and stripping the thread so you may know something we dont there does seem to be quite a few questions about anti rotation pins and scopes coming loose over the years manfrotto brought out a special plate ( at a ridiculous price) some at the "rotation problem".

Users who are viewing this thread