• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Fact 4" (1 Viewer)

z-ben

England
I have just seen an internet clip on which Kowa are boasting about the new 88 foot (dual bolts ).
I find it more than a little hilarious it has taken over 125 years for them to even try and help to stop their scopes rotating on tripod plated to the frustration of all the customers most of whom are still struggling with this problem.

Two screws are the belt and braces solution but provided a quick release plate has an anti-rotation pin and a metallic top surface (zero compliance), no problems should occur.
Even moderate torque will generate a high compressive force, and friction between the two surfaces, more than enough to cope with any shear or torsional loads. After all, a scope only weighs about 2,5 kg at the most.

John

Two screws are the belt and braces solution but provided a quick release plate has an anti-rotation pin and a metallic top surface (zero compliance), no problems should occur.
Even moderate torque will generate a high compressive force, and friction between the two surfaces, more than enough to cope with any shear or torsional loads. After all, a scope only weighs about 2,5 kg at the most.

John
Well I have seen birders scopes work loose on the trip out in the boot before the birdings even begun and there are that many tripod plates with rubberised surfaces that not many seem to get the chance of metal to metal and I am always afraid of overtightening and stripping the thread so you may know something we dont there does seem to be quite a few questions about anti rotation pins and scopes coming loose over the years manfrotto brought out a special plate ( at a ridiculous price) some at the "rotation problem".

Transporting the scope mounted on the tripod in a car is a cardinal sin and negates the whole purpose of QR plates. Also those 1/4" to 3/8" adapters with two thread turns are an abomination and one should use a 3/8" screw if a corresponding thread is provided on the scope foot.
In the automobile industry we used to require a minimum thread depth in aluminium of 2,5 thread diameters and no scope foot provides anything close. However, one doesn't need anywhere near the recommended maximum torque to provide a secure hold for a QR plate and all Arca-Swiss plate I know of provide metal to metal contact.

John

Who said anything about transporting a scope attached to a tripod? It was the connection between plate and scope ... not everyone has arca swiss and I have seen quite a few arca swiss with rubber or something definitely not metal on it. Not everyone has your engineering background and buy something expecting it to work if all it takes is a couple of turns why were anti rotation pins put on plates in the first place? One does not need to answer this because I am already bored with this. What was it Barre said?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back