• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fake 10x50 Jenoptem? (1 Viewer)

It's a fake (in the sense it was not manufactured by Zeiss Jena in East Germany) for sure.

Thank you LPT.

Then, it could have been a Zeiss licensed manufacturer who built this model? I have read that these were often of uncertain optical/mechanical quality. Is this correct?

Nice try!

What a revolution. The serial number indicates that the binos were build back in 1907!!!

And because the binos are signed "MC" that means that they started multi coating not just in 1975 but in 1907.

To use a famous quote from a German movie about the faked Hitler diaries:

The history has to be rewritten.

;)

There are lots of 10x50 CZJ available on ebay.de.

I bought four CZJ binos form the sellers dezember150 and schatzkistechem

Form dezember150 I bought two 8x30 of the pre75 area which means without MC. They are a lot better build than the MC versions because with the MC they used some kind of high glossy paint for the tubes inside close to the objectives.

Form schatzkistechem I bought a 7x50 and a 10x50 with MC.

All four binos are outstanding in quality - both optical and mechanical.

Unfortunately at the moment both have no binos to sell.

Thank you LPT.

Then, it could have been a Zeiss licensed manufacturer who built this model? I have read that these were often of uncertain optical/mechanical quality. Is this correct?
You should read this article if you haven't already: http://www.holgermerlitz.de/jenoptem.html
I too have read that some were built under license in Japan but don't know if this is true. My impression based on reports in the forums is that the mechanical quality of these binoculars is poor while the optical quality is satisfactory. A few years ago I bought a "fake" 10x50 Jenoptem with, I think, the same sort of markings as your example for very little because of a chipped prism and cracked ocular arm as a parts bino. Upon disassembly I found its build quality to be far inferior to that of Jenoptems (which aren't of the highest build quality to begin with) and its prisms were of a slightly different size than Jenoptem ones not fitting in a Jenoptem/Dekarem. Optically an original 10x50 Jenoptem/Dekarem with multi-coatings is a very nice binocular albeit with a bit of an amber toned view and shouldn't be hard to find. Look for ones with serial numbers from about 5000000 to 7000000.

Last edited:
These binoculars were manufactured in Japan during the early 1980's under licence to CZJ.

They were intended for sale to outlets such as Argos, Dixons etc. who sold lower priced goods.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back