• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

falcon in Montserrat, Spain, in June? (1 Viewer)

sandrinhalee

bird happy
Hi everyone, is this a peregrine falcon? Just checking.

Thanks,
Sandra

Attachments

• peregrine falcon-2.jpg
    peregrine falcon-2.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 104
  • peregrine falcon-5.jpg
    peregrine falcon-5.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 114
I assume we are talking about the bird in #2 because #1 is a Peregrine for sure!

Shane

Don't really get you.

I answered the question (is this a Peregrine?) and added that it (possible they, although the OP never suggested more than one bird) was/were juvenile(s)

So are we at a variance?

Peter

Yes, you're right! They are the same bird.

Is there any chance that you can tell if it's male or female? I'm trying to learn how to identify the genders. I know the female is larger but don't have a gauge for that in this photo. Also I know the female has different spots on the upper breast...but I can't tell here! Any insights?

Thank you all so much!

No sexing by plumage in juveniles and adults are quite variable. Size is obvious when seen together, also very small males and huge females quite obvious even without direct comparison, but many birds not straightforward at all when in flight

Agree with Tom.

Only in some instances (for experienced birders/falconers) can a lone bird not sitting with an identified prey be sexed. You must also consider the fact that the subspecies here photographed is most likely to be brookei, which is appreciably smaller than the nominate and calidus, which are occurring throughout the European continent.

It's definitely false that the (individually variable) streaking on the underside differ between sexes.

Peter

Last edited:
Don't really get you.

I answered the question (is this a Peregrine?) and added that it (possible they, although the OP never suggested more than one bird) was/were juvenile(s)

So are we at a variance?

Peter

No not at all, I was querying whether they were the same bird! Although the bird in #2 is shot from beneath, with the angle of the head I would expect to see some portion of one of the stripes which I cannot! This made me question whether the OP was asking about the bird in #2 only!

Anyway, the OP has already clarified the matter!

Shane

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back