• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon - Poland (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

Just before dusk today I say this bird.. First impression on very far distance was a young Marsh Harrier with it's light head and brown body.. But when it took of, it was clear that the bird was smaller and flew very differently than a Harrier, with very fast moving wings with 5-7 movements and gliding for a little while like a Sparrow hawk.. It flew from pillar to pillar and in the end came so close that I could get some pictures, but still in horrible quality due to the low light..

The most significant for me was the light head with a dark line through to the eye, light breast with some streaks/brown areas.. While flying I saw the underwings had streaks as well.. And the tail were somewhat long and had some clear bars as well..

I have attached the most clear pictures, even I know it might be too bad for an ID.. Maybe the jizz can tell something.. The last picture taken by phone through the scope (x60)..

The areas is marsh land with rivers and forest close to..

Look forward to hear some suggestions

Attachments

• Falkon1.jpg
    Falkon1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 217
  • Falkon2.jpg
    Falkon2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Falkon3.jpg
    Falkon3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Tail with bars.jpg
    Tail with bars.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 184
Thanks for your inputs

The Gyrfalcon was also my first idea, when I saw the pictures here at home, but I can't find any records of the bird here in Poland, so I don't consider that a realistic option, even it would be great :)

The juvenile Hobby is also an option, but I just don't see them having so clear bars on the tail... Maybe I'm just wrong?

Here is another picture from the front, even further away, so with even low quality

I can't determine if the brown area on the front is vegetation or the birds real apperance

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 137
You're probably right about the Hobby.. It's a least not so rare around here in the migration period like now..

In regard of sizes.. A Hobby has the same size as a Sparrowhawk, which it was very similar to in the flight..

The Gyr and Saker Falcon are much bigger birds, like a buzzard in size.. So I think I can skip these two as an option, even it could have been nice with a rarity..

It’s not a Falcon but an Accipiter.

Why do you think so? (What Accipiter has a dark brown tail with wide buff/yellowish bands and unmarked central tail feathers?). ... and a moustachal stripe ...just going on the description too.

btw That is vegatation in front of the bird in the last image - more the same shape closer to the camera.

(It’s obviously not Sparrowhawk with a streaked breast and I would be surprised if a Gos was that confiding) so the only other realistic option is a buteo sp despite the flight description and size description not matching.
Anyway - It’s really not identifiable on these images.

Last edited:
Goshawk with unusual pale head was my first impression

Yes could be - an unusual juvenile (brown streaking on breast) with a very buff coloured head and dark moustache/eye stripe - must admit though, I’ve never seen a Goshawk hunt from fence post to fence post before - and ‘5-7 fast wing beats plus a glide’ to get from fencepost to fencepost, gave me the impression of a smaller bird.

AGDK was it about the size of a Buzzard and how obvious was the face stripe?

(it’s all guesswork at the end of the day)

Last edited:
Thanks for all your extra comments and suggestions..

I can surely say the bird wasn't in the size of a buzzard and it wasn't flying like a Buzzard/Harrier.. It was significantly smaller around the size of a Sparrowhawk/Kestrel and flying with fast wing movements..
The face stripe not a significant line, it was more like a dark area around the eye going behind the head as a line..

Goshawks are in the area, but have never seen them flying around.. Only heard them in the forests around 5-7 km away..

The Red-Foot Falcon was also in my consideration due to the light head, but they are passing by here in middle of August and not so late here.. Last report was 23/08 in the area here..

I know we probably won't get a sure ID on it, but thanks for the inputs anyway

- - - - - -

I was by the area again today, but no sign on this bird, but I got pictures of 2 hawks, which was sort of fighting one another.. They just seemed too big for being Sparrowhawks, but would be surprised to see Goshawks in an open field.. Is it just Sparrowhawks that puff themselves up to look big to one another or?

Again, I'm sorry for the poor quality, but I can't get anywhere closer to the area, since it's small islands separated by rivers and this place is the closest I can get..

Can anyone help me here as well?

Thanks

Attachments

• Hawk.jpg
    Hawk.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Hawk2.jpg
    Hawk2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Hawk3.jpg
    Hawk3.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Hawk4.jpg
    Hawk4.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 51
Hello

Just before dusk today I say this bird.. First impression on very far distance was a young Marsh Harrier with it's light head and brown body.. But when it took of, it was clear that the bird was smaller and flew very differently than a Harrier, with very fast moving wings with 5-7 movements and gliding for a little while like a Sparrow hawk.. It flew from pillar to pillar and in the end came so close that I could get some pictures, but still in horrible quality due to the low light..

The most significant for me was the light head with a dark line through to the eye, light breast with some streaks/brown areas.. While flying I saw the underwings had streaks as well.. And the tail were somewhat long and had some clear bars as well..

I have attached the most clear pictures, even I know it might be too bad for an ID.. Maybe the jizz can tell something.. The last picture taken by phone through the scope (x60)..

The areas is marsh land with rivers and forest close to..

Look forward to hear some suggestions
Any chance it's a juv. Merlin? I can't tell from the photos, my ID skills are not up to it, but if it was small and flying low, post-to-post as you describe, that's something I see young Merlins do here in the autumn.

Any chance it's a juv. Merlin? I can't tell from the photos, my ID skills are not up to it, but if it was small and flying low, post-to-post as you describe, that's something I see young Merlins do here in the autumn.

Based on time and location, Merlin is an option.. It usually passes by here in fall and spring.. But I have not yet skills enough to verify that...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back