• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon sp. April, Dhaka, Bangladesh. Bad photos (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

United States
Had this falcon fly over this afternoon against the wind right as some rain was starting. It was quite thin and long tailed, so much so I actually was wondering if it was a parakeet until it got close enough. I was only able to snap a few bad out of focus shots before it disappeared. I'm hoping for Amur falcon because of the shape and size, but since they are fairly rare passage migrants (a few over Dhaka last fall, but none this spring so far anyway) I would appreciate confirmation or a better ID.

Attachments

• P1090864 (2).jpg
    P1090864 (2).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 86
  • P1090865 (2).jpg
    P1090865 (2).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 62
looks mostly like a hobby (and it is far more likely than amur f.) but ticking it on such pics is a bit risky.

Last edited:
looks mostly like a hobby (and it is far more liekely than amur f.) but ticking it on such pics is a bit risky.

Why is it far morle likey than Amur?

There used to be a place in Nepal which isn't far away, where they would roost in their thousands on migration. FWIW, I don't think you can safely rule out Amur.

i think it's a bit early for amur? but honestly i've no idea about the phenology of amur in bangladesh. i just make comparisons with red-footed falcons. and they both winter in africa. amurs have a longer journey though! edit: just read about three satellite tracked birds. crossing of arabian sea started at april 18th for one of them.

Last edited:
A couple of reputable local birders said hobby, and they know patterns and stuff here well.
A decent number of records of Amur in Oct and Nov, but fewer in spring. One in late April 2018, late april 2015, and May 2016.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back