• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Fantastic week, Off work with bad back. (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
I have had a great week birding locally.
I injured my back last weekend!. Can't sit, Can't drive, Can't even lie down for long. But, I can walk ( slowley ).
I have really only been birding for a short time ( about a year ) so virtually any bird I see is probably a lifer. But this week has been amazing. For those continuing to read, and not from this area. I live near Reading in Berkshire which is a small landlocked County in southen England.
I had seen on the Web that an Eider duck had been seen the previous day about a mile away from where I live ( 1st in the County for about fifteen years ), so, off I waddled. If you have ever had a bad lower back pain, you know what I mean. Eventually got to this new gravel pit, no-one else there, scanned it, no Eider!. But I did get another lifer!. A Little Ringed Plover, well two really along with 5 Redshank, half a dozen Tufties, 4 Canada Geese and 4 Gadwall and a bigger female Mallard. Just then another birder arrived, I ponted out the Plover and said the Eider must have gone!. He pointed out to me that the Mallard duck was not really a Mallard, but a female Eider. Seen through my bins from 250 yards away it just looked like an LBJ!. Through the Lens of a scope it was obvious. Aren't I a plonker?.
Anyway, who cares. Two Lifers!.
Two days later, ( I can now drive a short distance! ). Driven to whwere I fish to walk the dog. At the gate I see an LBJ, singing away from the top of a dead Alder. Scope comes out of car and I take several photo's of a bird that flies from a perch to another perch then back again, sometimes flying high and parachuting back down. After observing and taking piccies ( badly (no zoom on my digicam!)) I think its a Whitethroat, which is a first for me!.

That evening I called in a at a Local bird reserve and saw my second ever Little Egret ( with brown feet! ). Next day at same reserve I got a Sedge Warbler ( Another lifer ).

The next day a Wheatear, another lifer in a field next to where I fish and a Beautiful Male Reed Bunting, only my second ever, and then to cap it all, this morning on the Pit where the Eider was, 2 beautiful Shelduck, again a first.

Sigh!
, after visiting the physio and gobbling down "Diclofenac Sodium Tablets" things are less painful. So its back to work Monday.

Retirement looks so attractive!

P

peter hayes

Alan

What a great time you've had - I should do your back in more often! I like your honesty. Sorry you've got to go back to work, but I'm glad you're on the mend.

birdman

Орнитол&
As someone who's had the occasional lower back problem, I can really sympathise... but every cloud has a silver lining they say, and in this case numerous silver linings.

Great to hear, thanks for sharing, and many congratulations!!!

Andrew

wibble wibble
I share a few feelings with you. Once had excrutiating pain, at least it was only for half a day!

I also felt great reading you had lifers, the Sedgies are fantastic aren't they?

cuddy

Brian Robson
Hi Alan glad your on the mend, i broke my foot a few years back and i was forced to watch birds at a much slower pace and it taught me a lot about birding saw alot more species because i was'nt hurtling about like a banshee. Its great for you to be new at this as there are so many lifers out there for you to see.
PS. an occasional bad back is a good excuse to have a day off.

Users who are viewing this thread