• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Fayetteville, NC Question (1 Viewer)

ImagesNC

Hello

I am VERY new to birding. Just discovered I liked shooting birds in my backyard and have taken it to new levels with 9 feeders. LoL Yeah I go all out on hobbies. One bird has caught my attention and it's probably easy for most but I never see him get up to his perch. I always seem to look when he's there getting settled. Was wondering if someone could tell me what he is.

http://proudbirdnerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/IMG_4087.jpg

etudiant

Supporter
Hi and welcome to Bird Forum!
There are lots of real photography enthousiasts on BF, so you'll fit right in.

Your bird is a female Brown Headed Cowbird.
Note the big bill and the bulky appearance. The male is a snazzy black with a brown head and neck, hence the name.
Cowbirds are brood parasites, usually afflicting warblers and similar smaller birds, so they are not a favorite for most birders. They used to follow the buffalo herds, so nest building was not an option for them, but they adapted.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Hi again Images.

Last year I think almost my entire population of Cardinal's nests were affected by the Cowbirds. Was very sad watching a mother cardinal feeding a juvie Cowbird.

Users who are viewing this thread