• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

February Moths 2021 (1 Viewer)

Putting the moth trap on last at around 6pm - 1 Large Yellow Underwing caterpillar under the trap. Also an interesting looking micro (small grey and patterned) on the outside of the lounge window in the daytime, disturbed by rain, but not there when I rushed outside.

Rain until midnight, min temp 3C (at 8am when I checked it). Nothing inside, but outside -

1 Hebrew Character inside the box protecting the electrics
1 Dotted Border under one of the tiles

2 Large Caddis fly

Dotted Border a lifer.

Gonna have to start a February list if we aren't careful ...

After a few milder days, I put the trap out last night, the low temperature was 4.9C, not bad here, Aviemore, for this time of year. Three Pale Brindled Beauty.

As far as I can remember I have never put my trap on in February before, and I rarely get anything at all before mid April. So I was quite pleased to get two moths last night:
Red-green Carpet
Small Quaker - only my second ever.

That's Loughborough, urban garden.

Steve

22/02. Not so good as night before. 1 Common Plume, 1 LBAM and 1 Angle Shades (caterpillar).

20/2:
Beautiful Plume (2)
Chestnut (2)
Common Quaker (1)

21/2:
Small Brindled Beauty (1)
A. alstromeriana (1)
Oak Nycteoline (1)

22/2:
Beautiful Plume (1)
T. alternella (1) I wonder if this was Dan's window' moth from post #22?
Chestnut (1)

All from town centre garden in North Kent (Medway).

Cheers,

Andy M

Last night 7C min, gusting to 50mph winds at the worst -

Dotted Border 1 deceased outside the trap (being eaten by a small slug)
Hebrew Character 1
Grey Shoulder Knot 1 NFG

T. alternella (1) I wonder if this was Dan's window' moth from post #22?
Chestnut (1)

All from town centre garden in North Kent (Medway).

Cheers,

Andy M
I've had a quick look and it fits size and generally thanks. Not ticking it though! (Seen briefly from underneath and a side glance).

11/2 Agonopterix alstromeriana
15/2 Agonopterix heracliana
21/2 White-shouldered House Moth
All the above found indoors on windows.

Last night in the trap
March Moth 2
Chestnut
Hebrew Character 3
Very windy last night and down to 6 degrees, I was surprised to get as many. Much the same forecast tonight but will try again.

24/02. 6 moths. 3 Common Quaker, 1 Tortricodes alternella, 1 Agonopterix arenella and 1 Small Quaker.
It's picking up, slowly.

Windy again and raining this morning at 6:30 when I closed down. 6 March Moth and a Sring Usher outside the trap. Inside were 2 Chestnut, Common and Small Quaker, Dotted Chestnut and 2 Tortricodes alternella NFG.

25/02. Still, but very cool (5C down to 0C by morning) with a clear sky and large moon. One Common Plume.
Weather looks similar over coming days, I shall 'Endeavour to presevere'.

26/02. Weather as the night before. 4 moths - 1 March Moth, 2 Common Plume & 1 Chestnut.
Plus an Ant Damsel Bug.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back