• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

studentbirder

United States
Hello! I am a student working on a bird feeder design project. I created three different prototypes (pictures and descriptions below!). Please let me know your thoughts and feedback!

As a note, these are very rough versions of what the feeders might look like and how they'll operate- they are really just to show the very basic version of the idea (**these were not actually used to feed birds).

Descriptions:
Prototype 1 (tall white pvc pipe, purple top and bottom, yellow rings)
This prototype is intended to allow the user to be selective about what types of bird can get into the feeder. The yellow ring allows the user to temporarily block the holes somewhat so that smaller birds can get through, but larger birds don't fly through and eat all of the food. The yellow ring can be clipped to the bottom of the feeder to block the holes. If the user decides not to use the rings, it can be unclipped.

Prototype 2 (colorful pringles can tube, two cardboard rings, white bottom and middle rings)
This prototype is intended for beginners who are unsure of what types of birds they want to feed or what types of feed they want to use. There are rings which can be switched to reveal different port sizes (for very small seed, medium seed, and large feed). The different port sizes allow the user to test out different options to see what they like and what types of birds are attracted to the feeder.

Prototype 3 (carboard tube, black top, pringles can inner tube, white bottom)
This prototype is intended to have a different refill system. There is an inner tube which can be taken out, refilled, and then clipped back into the main feeder. When lined up properly, the holes in both tubes are lined up and birds can still reach the food. The idea here is that the bird feeder doesn't have to be taken down completely to be refilled, and it allows the feeder to be hung a bit higher since the user has to reach the bottom and not the top.

Thank you so much for the help! I really appreciate it!!

Attachments

• Prototype1open (1).jpg
    Prototype1open (1).jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 6
  • p1ring3 (1).jpg
    p1ring3 (1).jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 6
  • p1clip2.jpg
    p1clip2.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 5
  • p1ring (1).jpg
    p1ring (1).jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Prototype3open.jpg
    Prototype3open.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 5
  • p3process3.jpg
    p3process3.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 5
  • p3refill.jpg
    p3refill.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 5
  • p3clip.jpg
    p3clip.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Prototype2.jpg
    Prototype2.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 6
  • p2turn.jpg
    p2turn.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 7
Hello,

welcome to birdforum!

Two things came into my mind:

is the "size-related blocking system" designed, that no other animal (not only birds, but also mammals like squirrels...) can change it? My instant reaction was, a crow or a jay can easily change the ring system to fit its (bill) size.
If you want to block larger birds from the food. But thats a different topic.

What a clever idea to design a bird-feeder that can be refilled from the bottom. I am no expert in this, but this looks like a new idea (really???) to me and it can sometimes be an advantage. Is it possible to design a feeder, that can be refilled from the bottom and the top?

Welcome to birdforum again!

Hi, welcome to the forum. I can’t help with the design questions.

Hello,

welcome to birdforum!

Two things came into my mind:

is the "size-related blocking system" designed, that no other animal (not only birds, but also mammals like squirrels...) can change it? My instant reaction was, a crow or a jay can easily change the ring system to fit its (bill) size.
If you want to block larger birds from the food. But thats a different topic.

What a clever idea to design a bird-feeder that can be refilled from the bottom. I am no expert in this, but this looks like a new idea (really???) to me and it can sometimes be an advantage. Is it possible to design a feeder, that can be refilled from the bottom and the top?

Welcome to birdforum again!
Hello! Thank you for the feedback! I was hoping the final design wouldn't allow for birds or other animals to be able to switch the ring, but that definitely could still be possible. Also, great idea to refill from top and bottom- I hadn't thought of that. Thanks again!

When designing anything your 1st goal is to identify overall goals to which you failed as far enthusiasm goes in designing gadgets you win, that people might purchase these and why is what humans are prone to do albeit the birds will go somewhere else as they need a safe uncomplicated means to meet their needs. So keep at it never give up on the notion that there is a useful purpose for almost anything.

One separate important design criteria you shouldn't overlook (you may be aware of already) is ensure that the system you come up with is easy to dismantle and very easy to thoroughly clean - hygiene and being able to disinfect feeders on a regular basis very important for bird health and stop the spread of diseases (both getting rid of mouldy seed and slow spread of pathogens).

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back