• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeder Visitor - UK (1 Viewer)

ThomasW

United Kingdom
This bird has visited a couple of times recently but this is the first chance I could get photos.
It enjoys fat-ball suet & dried fruit pieces, & isn't skittish as it let me get to within about 5-6 ft before moving away.

“Google Lens” did come up with a name but I’d be interested to know what the more experienced bird watchers think.

I marked the feeder basket to give an idea of size.

TIA

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 39
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 45
Did Google come up with juvenile Starling by any chance Thomas?

Did Google come up with juvenile Starling by any chance Thomas?
Hi Delia.
No it didn't, sorry, it was something more obscure, to me at least.

I do have juvenile Starlings that try (unsuccessfully) to get to the other cage-type feeders so I know it wasn't one of those. The fact it let me get so close really surprised me as all my other visitors are away much sooner.

Juvenile Starlings for me too - look like they've got wet recently and the feathers have dried out looking streakier than normal. Their parents need to give them some lessons in preening :-O

I had a look at RSPB bird identifier but it didn't help.
The more I look at juvenile starling the more I tend to agree, {sorry Delia |:$|} though it was nothing like any of the others that visit. Plus I've never had any let me get that close.

How old would you say it is then, it must be quite young?

BTW, Google came up with short-tailed Pipit, which to my untrained eye doesn't look that far off.

I had a look at RSPB bird identifier but it didn't help.
The more I look at juvenile starling the more I tend to agree, {sorry Delia |:$|} though it was nothing like any of the others that visit. Plus I've never had any let me get that close.

How old would you say it is then, it must be quite young?

BTW, Google came up with short-tailed Pipit, which to my untrained eye doesn't look that far off.

Glad your mystery bird has now been identified, the juveniles are pretty variable right now, but probably fledged about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Glad your mystery bird has now been identified, the juveniles are pretty variable right now, but probably fledged about 3 or 4 weeks ago.
Starlings have highly synchronised breeding; here (Northumbs), all the young Starlings fledged on 21 May this year (bang on the average fledging day for the last couple of decades at least). So unless it was a re-lay by a pair that failed with their first set of eggs, they fledged a month ago today :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back