• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Feeding Research (1 Viewer)

HerreH

United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

My name is Herre and as part of my PhD project in Anthropology at the University of Roehampton (part of the Wellcome Trust funded project www.animalfeeding.org, I am researching bird feeding in London. I have been reading and enjoying many threads on this forum and decided to create my own account to engage in discussions. Everyone here seems very welcoming and it's been fantastic to read all the feeding stories, questions and discussions.

I have never been a bird fan specifically, but due to this research project I am noticing more and more birds and am increasingly interested in them (nowadays I frequently walk around with my binoculars and RSPB Pocket Bird Book with me!). I'm slowly learning names of different species and am even trying to learn how to recognize their song.

Anthropological research conventionally takes place in a specific location with a distinct group of people. However, this is difficult to find when it comes to bird feeding because it mostly takes place in the privacy of people's backyards. Therefore I was wondering whether you could help me think of research options: Are there any events, regular meetings, clubs or other bird-related activities in cities where bird feeding enthusiasts gather to talk about birds and the practice of feeding them? I suppose what I am looking for is physical versions of the Bird Forum!

I will also be trying to interview people who enjoy feeding birds in their garden individually, but it would be fantastic to join groups or communities in real life (although covid restrictions might make this a bit more difficult). Thank you in advance! :)

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Hi there Herre and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

radix023

Supporter
United States
If you tell them interviewees will be entered into a drawing for Zeiss Victory 8x42 binos I think you will have no issues. How well is this project funded?

HerreH

United Kingdom
Thank you for welcoming me, KC!
And Radix, the project is far from badly funded but I think a fatball giveaway would be more within budget than the binoculars haha.

All joking aside, is garden bird feeding truly such a private activity that there are no physical meet-ups or communities organized around it? I really cannot think of anything myself so please let me know if anything comes to mind.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread