• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female Beautiful Sunbird - Ethiopia October 2019 (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers

Female sunbirds and it is not easy to identify. Attached sunbird is a female that I have identified as a Beautiful Sunbird.

Reason for this, poor picture in the sun. But the reason for me to identify this bird as a Beautiful Sunbird is the white throat. At least it looks like white in the light.

Any ideas?

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• sun-bird.jpg
    sun-bird.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 28
Can't help with the Id, but if you have an exact location including habitat/altitude etc, it might greatly assist anyone who is familiar with Ethiopia, or even someone who has a field guide that covers the country.

Can't help with the Id, but if you have an exact location including habitat/altitude etc, it might greatly assist anyone who is familiar with Ethiopia, or even someone who has a field guide that covers the country.

Thank you Larry

The bird was spotted at Awash Falls and I managed to identify two different Sunbird males, Beautiful and Nile Valley Sunbird as they were males. The females are not easy.

This female looks like a Beautiful Sunbird as, again, might be a lighting effect, but the throat looks white as the female beautiful in my book Birds of Horn of Africa

Kind regards
Aladdin

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back