• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Feral' UK Mammals (1 Viewer)

Conwy Birder

I am confused how people view the 'wildness' of some feral mammal populations in the UK, so any guidance from others would be appreciated!

The mammal society UK mammal list includes populations of Exmoor/Dartmoor Pony, Reindeer, Red-necked Wallaby, Racoon, Feral Goat, Feral Sheep and 'wild' Cattle within their list of 107 UK mammal species. Do people who keep a list of mammals include any of these species and if so which populations?

As you can probably tell I am trying to compile my own UK mammal list but it is hard with no structured system in the same why as I have found accessible with birds!

TIA

So far as I'm aware, of those you list only the goats (some populations, Snowdonia & Findhorn Valley are ok, Great Orme not) are both tickable and readily accessible. Most of the rest, I have been led to believe, have some degree of human intervention, be it restriction of movement, supplementary feeding, medical care etc, other than the Racoons, don't know the situation there. The other one I'm not sure about is the Wallabies. They're on an island in Loch Lomond, but I don't know if there's any intervention at all. The only sheep are on very remote Scottish Islands, I forget which.

I'm sure Farnboro John et al will be along at some point to add depth and subtract errors ....

I don't know where the Raccoons are/were (some of these things get wrapped up quickly, others not so: I've seen Striped Skunk in the Forest of Dean for instance, but haven't heard of them in recent years). Red-necked Wallabies exist on the Isle of Man as well as at Loch Lomond: I think there might be quite a lot on IOM.

The feral goats are OK though personally I wouldn't count the Great Orme flock, its managed and supplies mascots to one of the Welsh regiments. Snowdonia and the Highlands (Findhorn valley is fairly easy but I've seen them as far as Little Loch Broom) are fine. "Wild" cattle and ponies are owned domestic stock, managed and removed to sale and domestic use by their owners, no dice. Wild sheep refers only to an unmanaged but heavily studied flock (precisely because they are unmanaged) on one of the islands of the St Kilda group.

Reindeer are totally domestic, managed stock that are driven down in winter (though occasionally the odd one gets away, there is no wild population) to be put in harness with sleighs and big fat red-clad white-bearded men.

Hope this helps.

Don't forget half the things we think of as wild are introduced: Fallow, Sika, Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer, American Mink, Brown Hare and Rabbit, Brown and Black Rats, Common Vole on Orkney, Grey Squirrel, Edible Dormouse - all countable - or reintroductions like European Beaver and Wild Boar.

Cheers

John

John

Thank you for your extremely interesting post.
The Uk is/was in an un(?)fortunate place at the end of the last Ice Age, when the North Sea and channel formed, isolating us from all the life moving N. following the glacial retreat, populating Europe but bypassing us.
I forget the exact figure, but I believe the total number of both higher and lower native British plants, is only in the order of 1500. All the rest have been brought over from "over there", be it Europe, the Americas, Australia, etc, over the last 10,000 yrs

Do you really have Raccoons in the UK?
Don't know exactly where they are right now, but we need to start locking up our elderly and small children asap ...

Don't know exactly where they are right now, but we need to start locking up our elderly and small children asap ...

Thanks Dan, I love Raccoons.

I'd back Raccoons to defeat the Channel Tunnel more than Raccoon Dogs but it would be interesting to know how many Red Foxes have either made it through or been caught trying.

The chief danger from Raccoon Dogs from what I recollect of Finnish and Baltics experience is that they will cause you to swerve into a tree as they hurtle across the road under your wheels. But no doubt the Daily Fail etc think they will bring Rabies to Britain or attack small children in their beds.

John

Foxes, skunks, raccoons, groundhogs, and bats are rabies vector species and can carry the rabies virus without showing any of the typical symptoms. It is important to handle these animals with caution if you need to rescue one. Use gloves, towels, or other thick materials.

If the Raccoon Dog is classified as "potentially dangerous", the Red Fox should count as "definitely lethal", considering its greater athleticism and higher intelligence (unless you're counting their potential as a disease vector or as a danger to crops, in which case the Raccoon Dog is a legitimate concern).

If the Raccoon Dog is classified as "potentially dangerous", the Red Fox should count as "definitely lethal", considering its greater athleticism and higher intelligence (unless you're counting their potential as a disease vector or as a danger to crops, in which case the Raccoon Dog is a legitimate concern).
The publications in question believe the Aesculapian Snake is big enough to constrict young children to death. The tabloid media are more of a risk to human life and limb than any wildlife present in or likely to colonise Britain.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back