• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ferruginous Duck - Alvecote (1 Viewer)

Despite the incredible roll call of astonishing megas that turn up in huge numbers at Alvecote and are so well documented by a talented photographer ( ;) ) this is a genuine record. Roy is something of an enigma; utter, utter fanciful nonsense 99% of the time, then some genuine hats-off good birds (Corncrake, Whitefronts, Fudge duck, Smew to name a few in the last 2 years).

What's that got to do with whether this is likely to be a wild bird?

This bird appears fully winged and acting as if it's wild. However to the best of my knowledge the legs have not been seen.

Not been to Alvecote before but I think I've worked out where Laundry Lane is. Any suggestions on parking? Doesn't look to be anywhere much along Shuttington Road.

If you look at the map, you can park on the junction of poles worth road and bridleway. There is also a couple of parking spots up the bridleway. There were 4 cars up there when walked up yesterday. The bridleway has tarmac up to a dead end which is big enough to turn around in and park.

You are at the right end of the pool for the bird then too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back