• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Few species / Yucatan (1 Viewer)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
Would need help with these please.

The Orioles I believe 2 are Hooded and 1 Altamira?

The Woodpecker I think is Yucatan.

#5 was a rather big bird. I could have taken a better photo, but the mosquitos were eating me alive 😫

The 2 black ones I'm not sure. I think they're different species.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Cheers,

Jose

Attachments

• IMG_5963.JPG
    IMG_5963.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5992.JPG
    IMG_5992.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5970.JPG
    IMG_5970.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6022.JPG
    IMG_6022.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5941.JPG
    IMG_5941.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6016.JPG
    IMG_6016.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5945.JPG
    IMG_5945.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 22
1 and 2 are hooded, the parakeet is Aztec, and the last two Melodious Blackbird. The others I need to do more checking. I cannot properly see the color at the bill on the woody.
Niels

1 and 2 are hooded, the parakeet is Aztec, and the last two Melodious Blackbird. The others I need to do more checking. I cannot properly see the color at the bill on the woody.
Niels

Thanks a lot, Niels. Where's the Aztec Parakeet? Number 5?

Here's 2 more pics of the woodpecker. Unfortunately the light wasn't good.

Cheers.

Attachments

• imgonline-com-ua-Lightening-8ET3Ezill7(1).jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-Lightening-8ET3Ezill7(1).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • imgonline-com-ua-Lightening-jTzh0vKT1EAoT.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-Lightening-jTzh0vKT1EAoT.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
Yes, at least that is my impression. Looking at it again I am less convinced the tail is as long as I thought.
Niels

Thanks, Niels. I don't think it was a parakeet. It seemed larger to me. And that grey in the head... But I might be wrong. I admit it's not an easy photo.

The Woodpecker is Golden-fronted Woodpecker (Velsquez subspecies) and the "parakeet" is a Black-headed Saltator.
Thanks a lot for the very precise info! It was indeed a Black-headed Saltator, now that you mentioned it: I saw it clearly. Any idea for bird #3 please?

Thanks a lot for the very precise info! It was indeed a Black-headed Saltator, now that you mentioned it: I saw it clearly. Any idea for bird #3 please?
I'm leaning for an immature Altamira Oriole, the other option would be an immature Orange Oriole, but those have more orange in the breast and throat area

I'm leaning for an immature Altamira Oriole, the other option would be an immature Orange Oriole, but those have more orange in the breast and throat area
I disagree now that i have checked the good old Howell and Webb. This bird shows two white wing bars with the upper broader, typical of Orange O and against Altamira.

Niels

I disagree now that i have checked the good old Howell and Webb. This bird shows two white wing bars with the upper broader, typical of Orange O and against Altamira.

Niels
You're right, both species have 2 wing bars but for juvenile/immature birds, with Orange having a broader upper wing bar while Altamira has them roughly the same width at this stage.

I'm basing it off Birds of Central America by Vallely and Dyer along with a bit of eBird, so I could be wrong, Orioles in the region are usually best told apart by size and call unless you have a clear, adult male nearby.

Thank you both for your feedback! Much appreciated.

I was leaning towards an immature Altamira Oriole as well, but maybe it's Orange? I hadn't thought of that option.

Here are the rest of the photos I took of the bird, in case it helps towards a positive ID.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_5967.JPG
    IMG_5967.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5968.JPG
    IMG_5968.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5969.JPG
    IMG_5969.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5971.JPG
    IMG_5971.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 6
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back