• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

field flatteners- pros and cons? (1 Viewer)

Fujinon had better change the info page on their website then, as it mentions "field flattener lenses" no less than eight times...

Regarding the question asked in the original post: if a binocular is advertised as having field flatteners I'd expect it to have good, if not excellent, edge sharpness, as that's been the case with pretty much every such binocular I've tried. I can't offer an opinion on the Meade and Celestron products mentioned, though, not having tried them.

I like a large "sweet spot" and good edge performance in my binoculars, but who doesn't? Although I suppose it isn't absolutely critical for the image to be sharp to the very edge (unless the field of view is somewhat narrow), if it is, so much the better - from my point of view anyway. I know motion can register in my peripheral vision even if it's not sharp, but the sharper the image is across the field of view, the better overall awareness I feel I have. I feel really good edge sharpness can to some extent make up for a smaller field of view.

The diagram in Wikipedia (appreciate it's Wikipedia, but...) shows about 80 degrees of vision that ought to be reasonably sharp. I'd estimate that at least 60 degrees of my own vision (the 18 degree arc of my "macular vision" and around two thirds of the 30 degrees of "near peripheral" vision to the left and right of the "macular vision" arc) is pretty sharp. I like the so-called "sweet spot" of my binoculars to correspond to that, and ideally exceed it. The Nikon 10x42 SE I own, with about 60 degrees apparent field of view, sharp to the edge, just about accomplishes this, I wouldn't like to go any narrower.

How?
Not doubting you, trying to learn.
I don't know exactly how, everything is some sort of trade-off in optics. But look at the SLC 56s, which I was thinking of, and you'll see what I mean. Actually my UV 10x32, a quite different design, arguably succeeds as well. At least I find the periphery usably sharp for my purposes, or not distractingly unsharp... as many others of course are not.

I don't know exactly how, everything is some sort of trade-off in optics. But look at the SLC 56s, which I was thinking of, and you'll see what I mean. Actually my UV 10x32, a quite different design, arguably succeeds as well. At least I find the periphery usably sharp for my purposes, or not distractingly unsharp... as many others of course are not.
Okay ............ good enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back