• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Field Guides for Western North America (1 Viewer)

MattDinUtah

United States
I've seen a few comments here and there about field guides, is there any consensus on what most birders think is the most useful or is there a forum favorite? I utilize the Audubon and Merlin (Cornell University) app on my phone but for me nothing is better than an old fashioned book. I have the Nat Geo guild to Western North American birds, just wondering if there is something better I should have in my pack.

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Staff member
Supporter
Scotland
I would get the Sibley Guide. There's an app version that's very good (including a wide range of calls) if you don't want to carry the book.

lgonz1008

United States
People consider Sibley's to be the best one, but personally my go to guide is the NatGeo one, by extension, depending on where you live in the Western US, it might be good to have one for the whole of North America, since a lot of vagrants from the East end up in the Western states during migration.

MattDinUtah

United States
Thanks everyone for the replies, and good tips on the Sibley app and having a comprehensive guide to deal with the vagrants. Very helpful!

Mysticete

United States
I think the Sibley Eastern/Western versions and the Nat Geo guides complement each other well, and I would recommend both.

qwerty5

United States
Sibley is great, it's my go to guide for any ID. I don't own the Nat Geo so I can't offer any comparison there, but I've heard it's a great guide. I would probably buy Sibley as well, since no two field guides have the same info. It's always nice to have multiple guides to look at. If you do buy Sibley, I would get the entire N.A. guide, since vagrants do show up, and you may take a trip to the East.

raymie

United States
I wouldn't buy the big Sibley guide, just buy the Western one (and the Eastern one if you ever plan on going to eastern North America to bird). The smaller guides are more practical to carry into the field, and they cover pretty much every likely vagrant.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread